Road Scholar B

mapgeek1
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Measuring Question

Post by mapgeek1 »

When a question asks for a distance between a landmark such as an airport or a lake, where do I start the measurement? Do I measure from the ends closest to each other or from the centers? Thank you!
SpartanOlympians
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Measuring Question

Post by SpartanOlympians »

mapgeek1 wrote:When a question asks for a distance between a landmark such as an airport or a lake, where do I start the measurement? Do I measure from the ends closest to each other or from the centers? Thank you!
I've always wondered about that too. I always measure from the centers. However, it shouldn't be that big of a difference if you measure from the ends closest to each other. ;) ;)
Science Olympiad is awesome!!

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
ReBobville
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by ReBobville »

SpartanOlympians wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:If I recall correctly from my days in the event, you would start from that spot west of the corner and just go around to 213 degrees, which I believe would be NE to SW. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you assume North is 0 degrees.

See, I thought that the line would be from NE to SW too. Apparently, it's not. Yes, I know that North is 0.

But do you guys see what I mean? Like how do you know whether to start from 0 and go clockwise 213 degrees or to start from 0 and go counterclockwise 213 degrees? I know how to find where to start the line and everything, just not which direction the line should be running.

Thank you guys so much for your help right now! Any other clarifications would be greatly appreciated![/quote

Always mesure CLOCKWISE form the 0, which should be pointing to due north (it should be at the top of your protractor) Also, 213 degrees is NE to SW. If the key on the road scholar wiki said otherwise, then they are incorrect. However, be sure that the power line is entering the sector at the right spot (use the scale to figure out the place based on the given information)
Strath Haven High School- 2015
Purdue University- 2019
SpartanOlympians

ReBobville wrote:
SpartanOlympians wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:If I recall correctly from my days in the event, you would start from that spot west of the corner and just go around to 213 degrees, which I believe would be NE to SW. It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure you assume North is 0 degrees.

See, I thought that the line would be from NE to SW too. Apparently, it's not. Yes, I know that North is 0.

But do you guys see what I mean? Like how do you know whether to start from 0 and go clockwise 213 degrees or to start from 0 and go counterclockwise 213 degrees? I know how to find where to start the line and everything, just not which direction the line should be running.

Thank you guys so much for your help right now! Any other clarifications would be greatly appreciated![/quote

Always mesure CLOCKWISE form the 0, which should be pointing to due north (it should be at the top of your protractor) Also, 213 degrees is NE to SW. If the key on the road scholar wiki said otherwise, then they are incorrect. However, be sure that the power line is entering the sector at the right spot (use the scale to figure out the place based on the given information)

OK. Then the Wiki was wrong, I guess. But thank you soo much for your help!!!! I really needed it! : )

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
redleader26
State: NY

Post by redleader26 »

Best... Event... Ever...We won by a long shot at regionals, moving on to states soon.
SpartanOlympians

Wish me luck! I'm participating in this event on Saturday!! : D Can't wait!!!!!

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
silentsage

Post by silentsage »

good luck...you'll need it
just kidding! I love this event!
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ
SpIcY WaTeRmElOnS
State: GA

Post by SpIcY WaTeRmElOnS »

Yah me too. Im trying to live up to last year's team. We got 1st at nationals
What?
SpartanOlympians

silentsage wrote:good luck...you'll need it
just kidding! I love this event!

Haha, thanks! I know, me too! Actually, we got first!! Whoo-hoo! Can't wait for A&M!! : D

- Geologic Mapping
- Mission Possible
- Experimental Design
i8maps
Division: Grad

Post by i8maps »

On the rules, it says that you only need to know UTM and Profiling at a basic level, but I have never even seen them on a test before. Just in case UTM is on the test at states, does anyone have some good resources for UTM because they confuse me.

Return to “2012 Study Events”