Road Scholar B

dustykingwood
Division: B
State: TX

Re: Road Scholar B

Postby dustykingwood » October 13th, 2011, 2:33 pm

if profiling is still in the rules, i would suggest trying that with a variety of maps. I would also suggest practicing the student created map with many different symbols, features, and difficuties in order to be fully prepared.
Yup, the Nats test this year had a student-created map (i think there were at 2) and a profiling map. We were caught off-guard since we had only practiced drawing the student-created maps. Then again we were caught off guard by pretty much everything that was on the test. I guess it would have been a good idea to study.

Yeah, were currently taking many tests and our first invitational is coming up. Thanks ya'll for the help. Much appreciated :D
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss

PAweatherguy
Division: Grad
State: UT

Postby PAweatherguy » October 21st, 2011, 2:28 pm

Hi all!

I always loved the Road Scholar event... especially some of the creative stories judges had! One time I created a test involving an Alberta road map... that was really fun.

If anyone has any questions about the content, feel free to ask!
Science Olympiad Alumni 2005 (FL State Champs 1999-2005)
Penn State Alumni 2007- Meteorology

fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby fishman100 » October 21st, 2011, 4:25 pm

Hi all!

I always loved the Road Scholar event... especially some of the creative stories judges had! One time I created a test involving an Alberta road map... that was really fun.

If anyone has any questions about the content, feel free to ask!
Yup...don't get too caught up reading/enjoying the stories while taking your test :P
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

dustykingwood
State: TX

Postby dustykingwood » October 21st, 2011, 8:36 pm

Yeppers I have had one where vampires were stealing blood from a blood bank and three teenagers had to catch them. It was fun cause we got to use four maps, three topographical and one high way. Though I mostly skim through some of it. I try reading only the important stuff but the main idea was that it was a very interesting test
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss

benk
State: MI

Postby benk » December 2nd, 2011, 2:34 pm

is there any differance this year, I can't find any :? ;) :?:
Government is not the solultion to our problems, government is the problem - Ronald Reagan

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » December 2nd, 2011, 2:49 pm

Nope, this is one of those events that tends to be the same every year. If you did well last year, you should be fine, as long as you keep it fresh in your mind by practicing.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

silentsage
Division: C
State: PA

Postby silentsage » December 22nd, 2011, 10:16 am

There might be more use of UTMs this year. I only saw them once or twice last year.
Road Scholar seems to depress everyone on my team who does it, but it's my favorite event...
I <3 DQIX and Squirtle
2013 RS National Champ

QPkid
State: MO

Postby QPkid » January 5th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Road Scholar was definitely my fav event, and it's awesome how it's been an event every year for almost the entire history of Science Olympiad. They need a Div. C version of this!!!!
First year in Div. C: Thermodynamics, Remote Sensing, Exp. Design

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » January 6th, 2012, 8:00 am

Remote Sensing kind of builds off of Road Scholar. I think the problem with replicating it for Division C that it might become rather easy for high schoolers, so tests would have to be insanely hard to adequately test competitors.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

QPkid
State: MO

Postby QPkid » January 6th, 2012, 2:02 pm

That's true. I'm sure there's way more analysis you could do with topographic maps that could be in a Div. C event, or they could just make the test longer :P But yeah, Remote Sensing is a pretty good event to do after Road Scholar.
First year in Div. C: Thermodynamics, Remote Sensing, Exp. Design

Return to “2012 Study Events”