Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO
Has thanked: 0

Re: General Mission Possible

Post by Balsa Man »

Kid Cobain wrote:Looking at the mission is fine, but taking pictures home and trying to replicate the idea destroys creativity.
First, you imply you know that whoever was taking pictures was…..associated with competitors you’d be taking on in future competition. Do you really know that?

Second, even if you do know that, as explained by a number of folk, sorry, there’s nothing wrong with it. People – students, coaches, parents observing any of the building events is just part of the game. Getting ideas to improve is part of the game. One totally legitimate source of those ideas is what others bring to a competition. Anyone who is not looking around and open to new/good ideas is missing an important opportunity. Its an inherent part of open to spectators events. Working to implement those ideas- and to improve on them is part of the game. As many have pointed out, the “winning difference” is not in a concept/idea, its in the implementation- detail, precision, testing, practice, etc.

If you agree its ok to look, and it certainly is, a picture, from a few feet away is not going to get anyone any more…..important information/understanding as to what’s going on, than can be gotten by careful observation. I say that from having coached a number of good/winning Mission-P boxes (and other building events) over the years; no picture is going to hand anyone any secrets, any magical winning edge- as Uncle Fester said.

You got your ideas/concepts from somewhere; you didn’t “steal” them (nor did you- or could you- patent or copyright them). You put research together with your own ideas; you certainly weren’t “destroying (anybody’s) creativity” by working such ideas into what you ended up with in your box. Even if your competitors got ideas from watching your box, and were to try their own implementation of one or more, that IS creativity, rather than the “destruction” of it. Lighten up; give yourself a pat on the back for having created a box that anyone thought was worth looking at, and getting ideas from.

If you’re going to do the S-O building events, understand that what you’ve done is there to see at competition; it becomes part of the “existing body of knowledge” for anyone that cares to find it out/see it. It’s the nature of the beast. Your mission, and the mission of your competitors is to keep improving; next competition, next year – search for and bring in new ideas, find/develop better ways to get it done/make it work. Science-O is, at its essence, about learning. That’s why so many of us participate in these forums sharing ideas and tips – working to expand the body of knowledge you and everyone have to draw on, and to build on.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Orchdork
Division: Grad
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by Orchdork »

So do you guys think that you are ready for State?
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Already did state--took 2nd.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
Orchdork

Post by Orchdork »

Congrats! :D
Water Quality
hogger

Post by hogger »

World record Rube Goldberg machine, do you think these guys might have done Mission Possible in high school/middle school?

http://screen.yahoo.com/largest-rube-go ... 00082.html
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

So a year or two ago the coach running towers at regional reported that another coach, who had been assigned to assist him, was taking pictures of every tower, presumably for use with his team next year. As a proctor he had access that spectators did not, so I think it was inappropriate, but I am interested to hear what you all think.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Using access as an agent of Science Olympiad (In this case the coach/volunteer) to gain advantage for a team would be a violation of ethics. On the other hand, as an event supervisor, Science Olympiad ask me to photograph each device presented for competition. I have had event volunteers who were team coaches take the photos for me. At the time they may haveappeared to be taking advantage, but had no access to the photos after the event was over.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

I think the crux is "unfair advantage."
In all the building events, the structures/devices are there to be seen; what's visible is visible. What can be seen becomes/is part of the "body of knowledge."
For a coach, or competitor to observe, understand, make notes is .....part of doing a good job.
As in the discussion of photos of Mission-P boxes, a photo is not going to capture/reveal any "secrets"- with a tower, it is sure not going to give you the info needed to duplicate a design (and the execution of that design); its really just a form of taking notes.
Even if we were talking about focusing in on one or two of the "hot'/"top' ones, I'd have to say its just focused observation. In that anyone can observe, I can't see any "unfair advantage" in doing so
We see every year on this board, numerous "I'm new to this event and I have no idea how to start...." posts. As coaches, each year we have new kids coming on that have not seen/participated in events. To be able to provide some insights on "here's what it looked like last year, or 4 years ago when X event was last run" - here's what some winners look like, and here's what non-winners looked like is important, and helpfull, and a good place to start the process for a new year. Pictures are a fine way to do that, is just part of good coaching.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Orchdork

Post by Orchdork »

State is on saturday... does anyone have any helpful tips on how to make the final task lift a heavier weight?
Water Quality
Science-dad
Division: B

Post by Science-dad »

I haven't seen this asked yet and was wondering if you thought our all girls team would be allowed to bring a 1 step foot stool so they can see the top of the mission device as it sits on the table? They would impound it with the device.

Return to “Mission Possible B”