General Mission Possible

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

General Mission Possible

Post by foreverphysics »

All general questions & answers, problems and solutions, and ranting can go here.
Especially ranting...because people tend to run into problems in MP a lot...and have nowhere to rant. Feel free to rant here.
This isn't anything specific, so for specific problems...look somewhere else, maybe somewhere else in the subforum.
All thoughts are allowed.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
chalker
State: OH

Re: General Mission Possible

Post by chalker »

foreverphysics wrote:All general questions & answers, problems and solutions, and ranting can go here.
Especially ranting...because people tend to run into problems in MP a lot...and have nowhere to rant. Feel free to rant here.
This isn't anything specific, so for specific problems...look somewhere else, maybe somewhere else in the subforum.
All thoughts are allowed.

I'd like to start the ranting by ranting about the fact that there is too much ranting about MP compared to the other events. Can we all perhaps agree to be more equal opportunity in our ranting this year so that the 'love' gets spread around a bit?
Last edited by chalker on September 10th, 2011, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by mnstrviola »

We love what we rant, and rant what we love :D
illusionist
Division: C
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I'm gonna anti-rant okay? Here goes:

MISSION POSSIBLE IS MY MOST FAVORITEST EVENT EVER! IT'S LIKE AN UBER EVENT! THERE'S SO MANY AWESOME THINGS ABOUT, THAT IF I STARTED RANTING, I WOULD TAKE UP TWO PAGES ON THIS THREAD. SO YEAH, MISSION POSSIBLE IS BEAST. IT WAS FUN. I LIKED IT. YAY. MP IS BOSS. LIKE ME. I REALLY LIKED THE EVENT. I WISH IT WAS IN DIVISION C AGAIN SO THAT I COULD DO IT AGAIN. IT WAS FUN. I LIKED IT. [/rant]

Okay, I'm done.
But seriously though, Mission Possible was probably one of my top events. I felt that we were given so much room to design and be creative. Hope it comes back to Division C before I leave.
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

I am just curious but what are this years tasks?
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

Just a question, what describes a granular material exactly?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

Well, last year sand was popular. I believe it is possible to use salt and sugar as well (might be better to submit an official rule clarification, and the Chalkers might be able to help).
bri2433
Division: B
State: MS

Post by bri2433 »

I'm excited for this year
Last edited by bri2433 on December 29th, 2011, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♥BAZINGA!♥
*This user is prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

A Person wrote:Just a question, what describes a granular material exactly?
Apparently a number of tournament hosts could not run Mission because they cannot have sand in their schools (any spills would result in serious damage to the finish on gym floors, etc.) So, the term granular material was added to allow for a larger variety of substances.
Submit an official clarification for an official response, but a generally overarching list includes things like sand, BB's, unpopped popcorn kernels, sugar, etc. Effectively, any solid material that can pour out of a container is probably good. Read the following for some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granular_material
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Kordo
State: OH

Post by Kordo »

A couple of quick questions: For task 4d, would a bolt or threaded rod be usable as the screw in this task? And for 4l, could you use the same mass for the task, pull the mass up the ramp, release it down the ramp and have it pulled back up again? I would think that as long as the task was initiated by the prior task it would be acceptable. That being said, if the raising of the mass was to begin the raising of the mass again, would that be acceptable? This is not a rant but just the beginning of many questions that I believe make this the best event to watch and judge in science olympiad.

Return to “Mission Possible B”