General Mission Possible

hogger
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Mission Possible

Post by hogger »

Now that our season is done, I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to answer questions and helped clarified things on this board (especially both of the Chalkers). Your help and thoughtful exchanges are greatly appreciated.
ttboy99
Division: B
State: PA

Post by ttboy99 »

Orchdork wrote:
ttboy99 wrote:My group and I did pretty well at regionals with this event (5th), but are not getting a lot of possible points because it runs too fast, only 7 or 8 seconds. Any ideas on how to slow it down before states?
use a rack and pinion. We have made ours adjustable so it can take up to 1 and a half minutes just for that task.
We already have that task in, but in needs to be fast to be effective. Thanks anyways!
Orchdork
Division: Grad
State: IL

Post by Orchdork »

GoNerdHerd wrote:
Orchdork wrote:
GoNerdHerd wrote:Would anyone consider a score in the range of 850-950 a good competitive score for regionals?
Yes that is a good score for regionals. What place did you get?
14th because to make a long story short our mousetraps went off early.
thats ok... we want to incorporate a mouse trap but we don't know where. Which task did you use a mouse trap for?
Events (that I'm coaching)
Water Quality
Orchdork

Post by Orchdork »

What score did you get for regionals? We got about 567
Water Quality
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

chalker wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:A question for the experienced supervisors out there: at regionals on Saturday, a student's TSL said that their lever for task C was supposed to pull a string, then as an separate unscored task had the string activate a mousetrap. During their run the mousetrap failed to activate, so I did not score the lever. The student argued that since the lever moved, it pulled the string and completed the task as described in the TSL. They won anyway so I did not need to revisit my judgment, but I am curious as to what you all think.
Unofficially of course, I don't see how pulling a string requires an IMA greater than 1 for task c... so the conditions of task c weren't met.
I should have noted that there were masses on the lever so that an IMA of greater than one was required for any movement. The question is really this: can a student define "the next action" simply as pulling a string, and then have "string activates mousetrap" as a separate unscored task? It seems clear that the TSL was constructed that way because they had some difficulty activating the trap directly and were trying to get the lever in anyway, which I thought was not in the spirit of the rules.
kittybug65
State: KS

Post by kittybug65 »

Our team got a 471 for regionals. not great, but I only had three week to turn the previous teams horrid wreck (no kidding, at invitationals it got -15 points. i didn't know you could even get negative points!) into something that worked.
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)
kittybug65
State: KS

Post by kittybug65 »

ttboy99 wrote:
Orchdork wrote:
ttboy99 wrote:My group and I did pretty well at regionals with this event (5th), but are not getting a lot of possible points because it runs too fast, only 7 or 8 seconds. Any ideas on how to slow it down before states?
use a rack and pinion. We have made ours adjustable so it can take up to 1 and a half minutes just for that task.
We already have that task in, but in needs to be fast to be effective. Thanks anyways!
That's better than ours, ours runs for thee seconds. yeah, we're working on that...
"Knowledge is power" Francis Bacon

2012:Awesome Aquifers(1st), Forestry(2nd), Disease Detectives(8th), Mission Possible (8th)
2013: Forestry(1st), Mission Possible(2nd), Heredity(1st), Exp. Design(1st),Shock Value (3th)
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

What's the maximum height anyone has lifted the special task?
Orchdork

Post by Orchdork »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:What's the maximum height anyone has lifted the special task?
Well that will change depending how heavy the object weighs.
Water Quality
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

Orchdork wrote:
Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:What's the maximum height anyone has lifted the special task?
Well that will change depending how heavy the object weighs.
no, i was just wondering what height everyone was getting.

Return to “Mission Possible B”