Lever Tasks

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Lever Tasks

Post by chalker »

losjackal wrote:
Marking the distance from the load to the fulcrum would still be easier...would like to know your response to the above question as well.
It's going to be up to the individual event supervisor. Personally I'd allow it, but don't count on everyone else to.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
GoNerdHerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GoNerdHerd »

For the 3rd class lever task, would having a ball in a spoon attached to the lever constitute the lever being in contact with the object? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed, but the alternative options for this task are not easy, so I want to make sure before I do something different.
2010 Regionals
1st Dynamic Planet
4th Meteorology
8th Can't Judge A Powder

2011 Regionals
2nd Meteorology
5th Compute This
6th Battery Buggy

2012 Regionals
1st Meteorology
4th Disease Detectives
5th Awesome Aquifers
chalker

Post by chalker »

GoNerdHerd wrote:For the 3rd class lever task, would having a ball in a spoon attached to the lever constitute the lever being in contact with the object? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed, but the alternative options for this task are not easy, so I want to make sure before I do something different.

Why wouldn't it be allowed? Just define the spoon as being part of the lever.

Student Alumni
GoNerdHerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MI

Post by GoNerdHerd »

My problem is the exact opposite though. The rules say the lever can't be in contact with the object at the beginning or end of the task so I'm not sure if I could say that the spoon isn't part of the lever, since they are attached.
2010 Regionals
1st Dynamic Planet
4th Meteorology
8th Can't Judge A Powder

2011 Regionals
2nd Meteorology
5th Compute This
6th Battery Buggy

2012 Regionals
1st Meteorology
4th Disease Detectives
5th Awesome Aquifers
chalker

Post by chalker »

GoNerdHerd wrote:My problem is the exact opposite though. The rules say the lever can't be in contact with the object at the beginning or end of the task so I'm not sure if I could say that the spoon isn't part of the lever, since they are attached.

Ahh.. right.. that sounds like it's definitely not within the spirit of the task.

Student Alumni
Cheese_Muffin_Man
Division: C

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

does a lever need to have two different weights on each end or can the distacnes be used for the ima?
hogger

Post by hogger »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:does a lever need to have two different weights on each end or can the distacnes be used for the ima?
This is my interpretation and in no way the official response. I think it depends on which lever you are talking about, if you are talking about 4c, then yes to demonstrate the "in a manner that requires an IMA greater than 1". For 4f, I think the ratio of effort distances and load distances are good enough. For all cases, having rulers showing self-measured distances will get you extra points.
yousmellchinese123
Division: C

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

In your opinion guys, what constitutes the beginning and ending of the third class lever task?

In my opinion, the lever activating is the beginning and the ending is when the object stops at its final placement. Is this similar to what you guys are getting at?
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
gorf250
State: CA

Post by gorf250 »

Chalker, I have a question about the third class lever task. the rules say that the final placement of the object must cause the next action. In our device, we have a block pushed by a lever, and then the block travels 15 cm, and then it pushes something that causes the next task. In your opinion, would this be considered the final placement of the block since it stops when it hits the next objects?
#AllSevenYears
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

gorf250 wrote:Chalker, I have a question about the third class lever task. the rules say that the final placement of the object must cause the next action. In our device, we have a block pushed by a lever, and then the block travels 15 cm, and then it pushes something that causes the next task. In your opinion, would this be considered the final placement of the block since it stops when it hits the next objects?
Submit that as an official clarification. Also, it's a little difficult to visualize what you are describing, so you might want to expand on it a little more.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director

Return to “Mission Possible B”