flyingwatermelon
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by flyingwatermelon »

SLM wrote:
hpfananu wrote:So a few weeks ago I was watching that old Towers video that's in the SOINC store. There's one section where someone analyzes some of the first towers at the ?1994 competition. What was kind of interesting was that this person said that you should have bracings all meet at one point, similar to this. Image
(Mind the awful image but I think you can understand the idea)
Wouldn't this leave a lot of the section of the other legs unbraced? If this was done all around.
Instead, would
be beneficial instead? It doesn't leave more of the leg unbraced but they don't all meet at one point. Thoughts?
In terms of material usage, both patterns seem to use the same amount. In terms of strength, however, there are differences. Here is a simple analysis showing which pattern works better for the chimney and why.

ImageA Comparison Between two Bracing Patterns
So SLM, what you're saying is that the first pattern is more efficient?
SLM
Division: Grad

Post by SLM »

flyingwatermelon wrote:
SLM wrote:
hpfananu wrote:So a few weeks ago I was watching that old Towers video that's in the SOINC store. There's one section where someone analyzes some of the first towers at the ?1994 competition. What was kind of interesting was that this person said that you should have bracings all meet at one point, similar to this. Image
(Mind the awful image but I think you can understand the idea)
Wouldn't this leave a lot of the section of the other legs unbraced? If this was done all around.
Instead, would
be beneficial instead? It doesn't leave more of the leg unbraced but they don't all meet at one point. Thoughts?
In terms of material usage, both patterns seem to use the same amount. In terms of strength, however, there are differences. Here is a simple analysis showing which pattern works better for the chimney and why.

ImageA Comparison Between two Bracing Patterns

So SLM, what you're saying is that the first pattern is more efficient?
I cannot tell from the drawings. It seems to me that the first drawing shows bracings on two adjacent sides of the tower whereas the second drawing is of two opposite sides. You need to know the orientation of the bracings on all four sides of the tower to decide which scenario offers more stability.
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Hey, What is the average mass of a 24" 1/8*1/8 basswood stick. I know that it's about 1.5 for balsa for 36"
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

thsom wrote:Hey, What is the average mass of a 24" 1/8*1/8 basswood stick. I know that it's about 1.5 for balsa for 36"
Really? From my sources I get a pretty consistent baseline of 1.3-1.4
^ Which is good, b/c there isn't really much use for anything above 1.3
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
thsom

Post by thsom »

mrsteven wrote:
thsom wrote:Hey, What is the average mass of a 24" 1/8*1/8 basswood stick. I know that it's about 1.5 for balsa for 36"
Really? From my sources I get a pretty consistent baseline of 1.3-1.4
^ Which is good, b/c there isn't really much use for anything above 1.3
right around that ballpark, but what about basswood?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

I never find the need for it. I get fairly constantly at and under 9 grams holding full load with balsa
thsom

Post by thsom »

mrsteven wrote:I never find the need for it. I get fairly constantly at and under 9 grams holding full load with balsa
True, true, yet i think I have found a 6 or so gram design that could hold all at 70 cm, if only i had this AHA moment 1 week ago....
LKN
State: NC

Post by LKN »

About where have any Division C builders here had your base legs massed at? I'm always under 2.5 grams, usually hovering right at about 2 grams. But, I seem to be getting to heavy from bracing, since most of my bases come out at 3.4-4g with the different modifications I have had. Where is everyone else at? Our team is hitting around 8-9g at 70cm, holding 15kg.
- LKN
NCSSM '13
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

LKN wrote:About where have any Division C builders here had your base legs massed at? I'm always under 2.5 grams, usually hovering right at about 2 grams. But, I seem to be getting to heavy from bracing, since most of my bases come out at 3.4-4g with the different modifications I have had. Where is everyone else at? Our team is hitting around 8-9g at 70cm, holding 15kg.
I'm at the same place although my season is over so im not really improving anymore...
thsom

Post by thsom »

so... nobody knows the mass????

Return to “Towers B/C”