General Discussion

thsom
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Discussion

Post by thsom » January 23rd, 2012, 2:44 pm

Alright, thanks. I have used thin ca before and been able to build light durable structures so I think I can handle thin ca. Thanks

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » January 23rd, 2012, 4:25 pm

thsom

Post by thsom » January 23rd, 2012, 4:35 pm

winneratlife wrote:http://www.paulowniasupply.com/paulowni ... istics.htm

worth looking into at all?
well, the question is where you can purchase it for special densities, or at all for that matter (in sheets/sticks of 1/16 or 1/8 or 1/32 or 1/64 or 3/32, etc.)

Faustina
State: MI

Post by Faustina » January 29th, 2012, 10:18 am

I recently did something new: I cut all the pieces for my tower to length, weighed the pieces, glued them together, and weighed again. Without glue, the tower weighed 9.22 grams; with glue, 9.70 grams.

Does .48 grams of glue seem reasonable, or is that really heavy?

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » January 30th, 2012, 7:28 am

Faustina wrote:I recently did something new: I cut all the pieces for my tower to length, weighed the pieces, glued them together, and weighed again. Without glue, the tower weighed 9.22 grams; with glue, 9.70 grams.

Does .48 grams of glue seem reasonable, or is that really heavy?
Seems quite reasonable; definately not really heavy
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

thsom

Post by thsom » February 8th, 2012, 8:21 pm

Does anybody know why our tower image gallery comments were deleted?

LKN
State: NC

Post by LKN » February 9th, 2012, 6:12 pm

I'm pretty sure it is because someone was trolling and putting dumb comments on tower photos, so the Mod probably took them off. Not sure why he/she didn't leave some good conversation on a picture or two though...
- LKN
NCSSM '13

Vizard007
State: CA

Post by Vizard007 » February 9th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Hey guys! I was wondering, how are you guys are making the chimney of the tower? How do you make it straight? Because, usually our chimney is "slanted." And I believe that's what's causing it to break immaturely. Do you guys have a solution to this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » February 10th, 2012, 5:36 am

Vizard007 wrote:Hey guys! I was wondering, how are you guys are making the chimney of the tower? How do you make it straight? Because, usually our chimney is "slanted." And I believe that's what's causing it to break immaturely. Do you guys have a solution to this? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks guys!
Yup, if the chimney is leaning....much at all, it will fail early in loading. The short answer is you make it straight with a good jig- there's plenty of discussion how in this year's and last year's Tower discussions. Second part of the puzzle is getting it vertical on the base; again, there is plenty of past discussion on how to do this; one way is with a plumb bob. Put the base on a 90 degree "X"- the centerline of the tower will be where the X-lines cross. Plumb bob hangs from the top- centered between the legs. If the plum bob is on the center of the bottom X, you're vertical (assuming your surface is level). The other way is making a measurement tool- a vertical upright, with a horizontal piece at the top (near the top of the tower). Put the upright against (the bottom point of one base leg, with the horizontal piece pointing in toward the center. The length of that top horizontal piece should be how far in from the position of the bottom end of the base leg the chimney leg above it ought to be. Move it around from leg to leg until you have the chimney vertical. In both cases, when you see it's leaning one way, you sand/file the bottom of leg(s) until you get it vertical. Then you glue the chimney onto the base.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy » February 10th, 2012, 12:44 pm

Does the 70 cm include the base of the tower?

Return to “Towers B/C”