Tips for My Tower

iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips for My Tower

Post by iYOA »

ideal height would definitely be 70cm and here is the reasoning behind it.

suppose you have two towers with the exact same design and building techniques, one being 40cm and the other 70 cm tall.

we can assume their masses would be m and 7m/4 (this is not exactly true because their bases are the exact same size so in reality, the 70cm tall tower is lighter than 7m/4 grams but this only further supports the argument)

we can also assume that they will have the same buckling load,w, assuming both towers are precisely built(not crooked etc...)
their ratios for regionals would then be

35*w/m and 65*w/(7m/4)

but we can see that the one on the right has a higher ratio because

35*w/m < 65*w/(7m/4)

7/13<4/7

as for mass.. there really is no ideal value.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
iTzDiamondFirexD
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by iTzDiamondFirexD »

Thank.s :D
First Year of Science Olympiad

Medal Counter:
States: 0
Regionals: 1
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

iYOA wrote: as for mass.. there really is no ideal value.
True. To the extent such a thing as "ideal" weight exists, it would be what it takes to win, right? And really, it's the combination of weight and height that determines that - I assume you and your coach have looked at, and understand, the scoring that is set forth in the rules?
On that weight, I can tell you three things absolutely a) it totally depends on what the competition brings b) 25 or 30 grams won't, and 6 or 7grams carrying full load will.

In terms of "ideal" height, yes, going to 70cm maximizes the height bonus part of your score (the number you multiply the structural efficiency by to get your score). One can certainly argue doing that is "ideal." Whether it actually is - in terms of maximizing your score depends on 2 things. First, are your design & building techniques and skills sufficient to build a 70cm tall tower with enough precision to carry something approaching 15kg. If its going to break at 5kg, because its crooked, you'd be much better off with a shorter tower that would carry.....13 or 14kg. Second (a much smaller effect) is the weight per unit length (like grams per centimeter) of your chimney. You're going to have to run the numbers to see/understand how this trade-off works. If what you use to build your chimney is heavy enough, your structural efficiency will go down (as height increases) faster than the height bonus will go up (as height increases). I can tell you that with a reasonable design/build (weight per length in the range that should easily work), the height bonus will go up faster than structural efficiency goes down. Perhaps your coach is trying to get you to understand this relationship?
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
tcm1234
State: NC

Post by tcm1234 »

what is the best glue to use? i've been told many things but i want some help
whaleluv52

Post by whaleluv52 »

i dont know exactally where to get it but we have been using glue that is medical standard, to glue flesh together instead of stiches. it is pretty good just be careful not to get glued or stuck to a tower!!!! :D
The people in the world who think they can change the world are the ones who will!!!!!
one life, one body, one earth...enjoy it!
Be happy!
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

whaleluv52 wrote:i dont know exactally where to get it but we have been using glue that is medical standard, to glue flesh together instead of stiches. it is pretty good just be careful not to get glued or stuck to a tower!!!! :D
Is it heavier than "normal" glue?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

It's CA (just medical grade). There's been lots of discussion- look back. Most folk use one variety of CA or another
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

Return to “Towers B/C”