Mr Tower
Division: B
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores from last year

Post by Mr Tower »

sr243 wrote:
Mr Tower wrote:Hi, states is in a week and since in my state we have no regionals, I have no idea what were up against. The top score for our tower would be 100 almost exactly and I would expect that to win knowing last years tower from our team would have gotten a score of 75ish calculated in this years scoring. For those of you who have had their state competitions already, is this accurate or no? We are an average team at nationals and we placed 25th in towers last year with all different people than this years towers.
If your score is 100 for states, then you have a 8.3g tower holding the full weight and 70cm. That is pretty impressive. I would say in most states, that would be first. However, there is always a chance that someone builds an amazing tower. I would say, almost 100%, that it would get in the top 3 for states.
alecfxl wrote:
Paradox21 wrote:I was at a competition in December where the winning C Div. tower won with a score of about 134.
Luo wrote:This score was by Menomonie High School (WI) at the Boyceville Invitational in December.
sr243 wrote: Well, looks like I am screwed. I am doing WI high school SO for the first time and did towers for middle school. 9g held 15kg last year. That got 2nd for division B. However, I can't even hold 25 pounds for division C. Maybe I need to use a square base because the rectangular one is just too wide. That tower is like less than 9 g and 70cm holding the full weight. I don't even know how to compete with that.
Don't worry, the next highest score by a WI team was <50. Menomonie medaled at Nationals in towers last year and also in elevated bridge not long ago so they're obviously well ahead of other teams in the state. 134 is impressive but when comparing to last year you have to realize only the chimney is effectively being extended. So it wouldn't be a linear relationship for mass to height compared to last year. With that said, I can see someone hitting 6.5g although many of the earlier State competitions this year may prevent some from really honing down on a spectacular design.
Yeah, I am not expecting to win first in towers. It is surprising though that WI has a top 3 towers team. If I were to work on tower alot and perfect my deisng and skills, I think I might get around 8.0g holding the full weight. However, I barely have enough time to work on towers. I will probably just aim for 10g holding the full weight. That should medal and possible place in the top 3.
Yes, our tower is about 6.8g at 60cm and we expect it to hold about the full load if not the full load. Thanks for your input and good luck to you!!
2011 states: Anatomy: 3rd, Disease Detectives: 3rd, Fossils: 1st, and WIDI: 1st
2012 states: Towers 1st
2013 states: Road Scholar 1st, Boomilever 2nd, Metric Mastery 2nd
Team: 1st, 1st, 1st
2013 nationals: Road Scholar 7th, Boomilever 38th, Metric Mastery 2nd
Team: 24th
Coolidge middle school

Return to “Towers B/C”