time

NRsciencekid
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

time

Post by NRsciencekid »

How lomg does it usually take to build a tower?
Julian
Division: C

Re: time

Post by Julian »

When I was a beginning builder, it only took me about 4 hours total, but my main goal was to build a tower that would make specs, rather than one that would be competitive. Now my team makes pretty competitive towers at the state level, and it takes me about 8-10 hours spread over 3-4 days to build one for a tournament. I find that as the season goes on and the more advance you get, the build time decreases, but the amount of time one spend thinking about the design and technique increases a lot.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. --Margret Meed
BobBob22
Division: B
State: CA

Post by BobBob22 »

Actually, once you get to about 25 towers, it takes about 2.5-3 hours for the whole thing.
Last edited by BobBob22 on May 13th, 2012, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TYG
State: NY

Post by TYG »

I've been building towers for about one and a half years and it still takes me around 20 hours including weighing the balsa wood :|
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

If you have a patient hand, even after only having built 3 towers like me, you can finish your tower within maybe 4-6 hours at one sitting or if fragmented (finish two sides of the base, then go on a tangent, then finish the base, go on a tangent, finish two sides of the chimney, go on a tangent, finish the chimney, go on a tangent, connect the base and chimney, go on a tangent, and then finish the tower with final alterations and adjustments) it should take you about 2-4 hours. No joke, I built my state tower in a total of 1:45 minutes and it was the most accurate and the best tower I had (until the comp. when it failed early due to one piece becoming unglued! Make sure all pieces are glued before checkin! I checked at my homeroom and it was fine but during transport to the testing room, one became unglued and I did not notice until checkin when it was way too late to fix even though I had my glue!)
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

I take about 1.5-2 hours building mine. However, I don't use a jig, but I have a 2D drawing on a piece of paper, glue two sides of the base, connect them, finish the bracing for the base, and do the same thing for the chimney. Usually, we can build 7 towers in a month.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Fossil Freak 25
State: WA

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

It takes me 8 hours to make a tower with an efficiency of around 100
Go Cougs!
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:It takes me 8 hours to make a tower with an efficiency of around 100
Regional efficiency, states, or Nats?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Fossil Freak 25
State: WA

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

nats
Go Cougs!
thsom
State: IL

Post by thsom »

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:nats
That's pretty good. I'd say top 20 with that, maybe even top 15. I think winning div. B tower could hit an efficiency of 122-135. What people can do is amazing.
The highest nats efficiency i hit was ~84-85, of course, my highschool isn't that great and didn't make it to nats, not that we ever will, there's a lack of initiative :/

Return to “Towers B/C”