Efficiencies you have gotten?

dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Efficiencies you have gotten?

Post by dholdgreve »

BTW, we also had one tower that maxed out the gram scale and had to weighed on the sand scale... I think it tipped the scale at 155 grams... Not nearly the mega-structure mentioned earlier, but still a true engineering marvel... or something like that. Still nowhere near as impressive as the guys that rolled their boomilever in on a wagon several years ago, because it was too heavy to carry... I don't think I will forget that!
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Those West Liberty numbers are VERY impressive; wow.

We had one at 250gr+ that had to be weighed on the sand scale. Another interesting one in the 100gr range; the hole at the top was a 7-8cm square- as in the load block would pass through with lots of clearance on all sides. They avoided Tier 3 by putting the load block into one corner- so supported by 1 leg, and the top ladders, and the puppy went to full load- and they asked (it ran late in the day) if they could put more sand in. Stopped at 22kg, and was still holding.

We had 5 or 6 others, I think, that... neglected to consider the 8cm circle; a couple by a tiny bit, some massively; one very indignant, that there was nothing in the rules about anything like that :x :roll:
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Balsa Man wrote:Those West Liberty numbers are VERY impressive; wow.

We had one at 250gr+ that had to be weighed on the sand scale. Another interesting one in the 100gr range; the hole at the top was a 7-8cm square- as in the load block would pass through with lots of clearance on all sides. They avoided Tier 3 by putting the load block into one corner- so supported by 1 leg, and the top ladders, and the puppy went to full load- and they asked (it ran late in the day) if they could put more sand in. Stopped at 22kg, and was still holding.

We had 5 or 6 others, I think, that... neglected to consider the 8cm circle; a couple by a tiny bit, some massively; one very indignant, that there was nothing in the rules about anything like that :x :roll:
One of our tier 2 towers was built in a triangle shape, without any taper. This obviously violated the 80 mm rule as well, but we really wanted to see them test it, so we allowed them to adjust and readjust, until the block was barely supported by a corner of tower, while the chain barely passed within the 5 cm center circle. The loading block was barely on the cross beams, but somehow it stayed there and if I am rememering correctly, actually carried a full load. This was the 155 gram tower though.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
alecfxl
Been thanked: 0

Post by alecfxl »

Delete
Last edited by alecfxl on April 6th, 2012, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thsom
Division: C
State: IL

Post by thsom »

alecfxl wrote:http://avogadro.ws/hosted/il-cod-vc/pub ... s/event-21

Is this real? Would work out to ~5.8g holding everything at 70cm. That's National gold worthy. Can anyone here confirm that score?
seems right... sadly.... :/ is walterpayton school in A or AA *hoping for AA*

EDIT: it seems that they aren't even going to state, *phew* though i am very impressed with that. that just goes to show that nationals doesn't always have the best devices in the nation, just the best devices in the nation of the teams that made it to nationals, you could technically put together a super-team from around the country of people in events that didn't even make it to nat's and they'd win every event.
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

It also goes to show that Science Olympiad is a team effort, and that one amazing event will not get you to the next level. Nevertheless, 167 is amazing, great job Walter Payton!
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

Return to “Towers B/C”