Boomilever for 2013

_HenryHscioly_
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever for 2013

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

Has anyone successfully cut bass with these types of strippers? 1/16" or 3/32"?
tbb
State: IL

Post by tbb »

I was wondering if anyone knew of the average mass of a 1/8*1/8 size 24" stick of basswood? Thanks!
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

tbb wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew of the average mass of a 1/8*1/8 size 24" stick of basswood? Thanks!
Ballpark of 2.5 grams. Like balsa it has different densities, but an average is 26 pounds per cubic foot. Dryness is a factor also.
thsom

Post by thsom »

retired1 wrote:
tbb wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew of the average mass of a 1/8*1/8 size 24" stick of basswood? Thanks!
Ballpark of 2.5 grams. Like balsa it has different densities, but an average is 26 pounds per cubic foot. Dryness is a factor also.
I too did not know this but I did some calculations with what numbers you gave and i got 2.56 grams so you're pretty close!
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Umm... One thing you do have to expect with bass is a +/-.5g or so varience depending on local conditions(humidity mainly) and densities of course... Are you using this to try and predict the weight of a structure, or some other purpose?
tbb

Post by tbb »

iwonder wrote:Umm... One thing you do have to expect with bass is a +/-.5g or so varience depending on local conditions(humidity mainly) and densities of course... Are you using this to try and predict the weight of a structure, or some other purpose?
For a weight of a structure. I live in Illinois which isn't very humid or dry so I figure it should be close to that mass.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

It'll be within 2-4 grams :D honestly though, you shouldn't focus to much on estimating the weight of a structure unless you know for sure it's going to hold a certain amount of weight, and if you're sure of that, you probably already know the densities of wood you're looking for... I've tried to estimate weights before based on densities and been up to 6 grams off for a tower, so it's probably way better to just build it, just remember to have a .01g(or similar) scale nearby and weigh each piece(not stick) right before you glue it and write the weight down so you know what densities of wood you used... The other nice thing about just building it is you can load test it later on and see if the design works, then use the piece weights to duplicate it for contest
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:Has anyone successfully cut bass with these types of strippers? 1/16" or 3/32"?
Not very well. They start having trouble with hard balsa. REALLY a struggle with basswood.
_HenryHscioly_ wrote:http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa ... pic=5658.0
The 6th post has a simple way to strip sticks of wood.
I am going to try this method :], except I dont have blocks of wood...yet
Wow, I've been cited!? The first article in that string points back to THIS forum and a previous discussion on how I use Master Airscrew Balsa strippers. Even better, many alternative suggestions on how to strip balsa, many looked very good.

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

If the tension members don't taper in to the base and the compression members are also parallel to each other, is there a way to make all the connections lap joints? (especially the bracings)
As far as I can see, there'd have to be butt joints somewhere but then again, I'm terrible at visualizing things.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

In the main members(not any bracing) it's fairly simple to use all lap joints, but since I'm bad at explaining things, aia has a very nice diagram on her wiki page(there's a link a few pages back in this thread). Keep in mind that her base connection is not a butt joint, because the side of the wood is what's glued into the base, not the end grain.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “Towers B/C”