Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by eta150 »

mrsteven wrote:
eta150 wrote:
sciolymeister wrote:Has anyone made a working chinook style helicopter yet? I just made one that flew for 1 minute and 43 seconds (I'm quite proud of myself). That score is multiplied by three right? So my actual score should be somewhere around a normal helicopter that flies for about 5 minutes...
If this is true, that would likely win nationals. I've heard that very few people have come close to even a minute.
Which ones trolling? The 5 minute time or the 1 minute comment?
I meant that about the 1 minute (and I've been around science olympiad for a pretty long time, so I think you can trust me), as I've talked to people on a top 4 teams (in the event) from nationals last year, and they said that the experts that they've consulted have barely managed to get past 50 seconds. While I fully believe that the bonus could yield a 5 or 6 minute flight, there are very few teams in the country equipped to achieve that.
#ACESWILD
sciolymeister
Division: C
State: ME

Post by sciolymeister »

mrsteven wrote:I wouldn't be so quick to discredit him.
The gravity vehicle thing I'm unsure of but the 5 minute time with helicopter? I think its possible
oops
i meant 2.12 seconds that was a mistype (sorry). I assure it is possible, i worked with a physics professor to figure out the best shape and weight for the ramp and vehicle

anyways, for the helicopter, it took very long trying to get to that high of a score. I think we built at least 15 different chinook style helicopters until it worked really really well.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

What was your design like???? I mean, I obviously don't expect any specifics, as that, if valid, is a winning score, but I am (almost) completely at a loss for the chinook challenge. I have tried numerous designs myself (not fifteen, but still a significant number), and so far, all but one of them have fallen straight to the ground. I was starting to think it really just wasn't possible with the limit of three rotors. Do you have two rotors above and one bellow, or vice versa? Or is it something else entirely?
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

twototwenty wrote:What was your design like???? I mean, I obviously don't expect any specifics, as that, if valid, is a winning score, but I am (almost) completely at a loss for the chinook challenge. I have tried numerous designs myself (not fifteen, but still a significant number), and so far, all but one of them have fallen straight to the ground. I was starting to think it really just wasn't possible with the limit of three rotors. Do you have two rotors above and one bellow, or vice versa? Or is it something else entirely?
Chinooks are just two rotors. I wouldn't try to make three, that would only make the design and build more difficult for yourself
#ACESWILD
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

The designs I have been toying with all have three rotors, which does seem to work. I saw the example of the two-rotor chinookt that is in the image gallery, and I really can't imagine this type working well. However, it easily could; that's why I'm wondering what sciolymiester did, assuming his claim is legitimate.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

twototwenty wrote:The designs I have been toying with all have three rotors, which does seem to work. I saw the example of the two-rotor chinookt that is in the image gallery, and I really can't imagine this type working well. However, it easily could; that's why I'm wondering what sciolymiester did, assuming his claim is legitimate.
*searches image gallery* I see no chinook there...
link?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

twototwenty wrote:The designs I have been toying with all have three rotors, which does seem to work. I saw the example of the two-rotor chinookt that is in the image gallery, and I really can't imagine this type working well. However, it easily could; that's why I'm wondering what sciolymiester did, assuming his claim is legitimate.
His claim is complete "horse feathers" (as BalsaMan put it). He stated some impossible times on the Gravity Vehicle thread as well, times that are literally impossible even in a friction-less environment.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Just for clarification - its the GV time that I called out as horse feathers- impossible physics unless the force of gravity has been altered. Hmmm, maybe a gravitational field enhancement device at work?- turn it up for GV, turn it down for helicopter?
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Balsa Man wrote:Just for clarification - its the GV time that I called out as horse feathers- impossible physics unless the force of gravity has been altered. Hmmm, maybe a gravitational field enhancement device at work?- turn it up for GV, turn it down for helicopter?
Oh ya, I have that right next to my left handed smoke bender

(doubt many will get it... hope some do)
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
lucwilder42
State: MI

Post by lucwilder42 »

mrsteven wrote:
*searches image gallery* I see no chinook there...
link?
Don't worry, it's not worth seeing. It's from my teammates two years ago and while it was a decent concept, it has little to no potential. It doesnt involve twisting the rubber at all...

Return to “Helicopters C”