Designs

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Designs

Post by jander14indoor »

EVERYTHING you know about helicopters and planes is still in play. Building light is critical. Managing your rubber. Wing aerodynamics, stability, control, all still play. You just don't have that messy motor on the plane, you still have a messy (non-linear, inconsistent energy storage, etc) motor, just in your hand.

And what you know about rotors, hey, a rotor is still just a twisted wing in a complex air flow. And don't worry, Wright Stuff will be back eventually, heck, maybe we'll finally let you make your own props since the helicopter guys have been doing it successfully for two years! Aren't I sneaky, assuming my dastardly plan works!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrsteven »

jander14indoor wrote:maybe we'll finally let you make your own props. Aren't I sneaky, assuming my dastardly plan works!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
oh jeeze... please don't do that to us.

On a side note to that: next year Im a senior. Meaning if it write stuff comes back with make-your-own i wont be there :D YAY

A few of the same ideas, but helicopters and write stuff relate more to each other than either does to the launched ones
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

I know we're being really off topic now haha but I'm really curious what Elastic Launch Glider looks like. I read the trial rules and I can't really visualize it. (But of course if you want to get back on topic to Helicopters I completely understand lol)
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote: oh jeeze... thats no fun... I know all this stuff about rubber helicopter and planes it goes out the window... lovely.
Don't you love continuity?
Actually...one of the things SO prides itself on is providing new challenges to students. Not only does it (attempt to) level the playing field by not giving legacy teams the chance to become too expert in any one event, but it also forces individual competitors to explore new topics and broden their horizons.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

thedoctor wrote:I know we're being really off topic now haha but I'm really curious what Elastic Launch Glider looks like. I read the trial rules and I can't really visualize it. (But of course if you want to get back on topic to Helicopters I completely understand lol)
I'll create a new topic to talk about this.
Hawaii State Director
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

thedoctor wrote:I know we're being really off topic now haha but I'm really curious what Elastic Launch Glider looks like. I read the trial rules and I can't really visualize it. (But of course if you want to get back on topic to Helicopters I completely understand lol)
ok... ok... we will... go back....
ONE SECOND

go to illinoisolympiad.org
on there there is a tab for trial events. there are a few documents for it. There are 3-4 pictures of what some look like

back to helicopters.... hopefully

Chalker: Ya I get that, but I feel like helicopter - wright stuff and back is more continuous and different enough to challenge everyone adequately but hey! I'd also be on the benefiting side of that so I'm not exactly a unbiased source haha
chalker7

Post by chalker7 »

jander14indoor wrote:EVERYTHING you know about helicopters and planes is still in play. Building light is critical. Managing your rubber. Wing aerodynamics, stability, control, all still play. You just don't have that messy motor on the plane, you still have a messy (non-linear, inconsistent energy storage, etc) motor, just in your hand.

And what you know about rotors, hey, a rotor is still just a twisted wing in a complex air flow. And don't worry, Wright Stuff will be back eventually, heck, maybe we'll finally let you make your own props since the helicopter guys have been doing it successfully for two years! Aren't I sneaky, assuming my dastardly plan works!!

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Dastardly indeed! (Obviously joking, you know I agree with 99.99% of your opinions/plans) From a totally non-official standpoint, I think all of the teams have definitely proved their abilities and I'm 100% open to student constructed propellers in Wright Stuff (when it returns.)
Hawaii State Director
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

edit: wrong topic sorry
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
junior3643
Division: B

Post by junior3643 »

Are you guys ready for the Illinois Regionals this Saturday, March 10 at COD? I'm excited to see the different designs.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

junior3643 wrote:Are you guys ready for the Illinois Regionals this Saturday, March 10 at COD? I'm excited to see the different designs.
well... yes... but IL Regional CLC (same day)
But this is a helicopter (national) thread, if you want to talk IL go to the IL thread

But yes, I am excited about designs as well for my regional
I believe yours have NT Winnetka. I'd look at that one as a good example.

Anyone want to share some new designs they've made? haha

Return to “Helicopters C”