Duration

DLiu
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by DLiu »

Maletitas wrote:so i guess all the official flights were made without the gears...

darn, i would have liked to see the gears being used to their full potential
If you were curious, we actually got the geared helicopter to fly 3:57 releasing it from the ground of the the Venue. However we only had one good run before it got stuck the second time. Luckily we tethered it and could get it unstuck.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Maletitas wrote: yours looked exactly like Troy's! except they had a triangle shaped helicopter...yours is a rectangle.

i also got to see danyalukin's helicopter from ward melville and was amazed...it had two rectangular sheets oriented perpendicularly like a rocket ship. i'm sure if it hadn't gotten stuck it would have easily won first place.
mhm... well I would like to think they copied :P haha but I have no idea and that is probably a gross exaggeration

interesting. Well, I'd always love to see them in the gallery ;)

3:57 raw or with bonus, or even a chinook at all?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

mrsteven wrote:
Maletitas wrote: yours looked exactly like Troy's! except they had a triangle shaped helicopter...yours is a rectangle.

i also got to see danyalukin's helicopter from ward melville and was amazed...it had two rectangular sheets oriented perpendicularly like a rocket ship. i'm sure if it hadn't gotten stuck it would have easily won first place.
mhm... well I would like to think they copied :P haha but I have no idea and that is probably a gross exaggeration

It was a chinook with gears. It is school tradition to burn all the engineering events(that don't cost too much) after nationals and unfortunately I didn't have the insight to take a couple of pictures before we burned them this year. However, I will be coming back from college to work with my local middle school on helicopters for Science Olympiad next year and I will make sure to take some pictures. Hopefully it is also seen again at nationals for Division B next year.
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

mrsteven wrote:

I can assure you that we did not copy your helicopter as we never had the chance to see another chinook similar to ours although we saw a similar one at nationals that also used the rectangle. I think that one placed too.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

I'm right behind you on the burning things. I dosed one of my helicopters with lighter fluid and shot a burning arrow at it while camping while flying in a field xD It was actually pretty beautiful after getting it lit off the 3rd shot xD (I do alot of outdoorsy stuff)

The other helicopter I bought a glass case for and I mounted it in my room with my medals and a picture of me and my partner

Well itll be around next year as a B event but i dont think that the chinook bonus will be around 2 year running. There may be another bonus opportunity but who knows? Its Helicopter Egg Drop I think and I cannot imagine MY helicopter flying with the extra mass of an egg, that thing weighs ten times + the actual helicopter.

This was a great event. Only regret is not being able to spend more time on it, although my grades couldn't have taken the hit. I counted one week... I actually spent more hours in 1 week on scioly then I did on school and homework that same week... it was concerning. I legit lived this event for two years with the occasional distraction of towers/robot arm etc.

To DLiu: It was a joke ^.^ sorry its hard to convey that well over forums.
and the rectangle one you speak of, that was New Trier I coached them on the design/materials/construction EDIT: They got 4th
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Helicopter egg drop is another event, unpowered. Its in the physics committee.

Helicopter duration with few changes (yeah, don't expect that triple bonus for chinooks again) will be back in div B next year.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Can I just make sure, Helicopter Egg Drop and Helicopters are both events next year?
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

havenguy wrote:Can I just make sure, Helicopter Egg Drop and Helicopters are both events next year?
Judging from the current tentative event list, it looks like helicopter egg drop is a likely event, but may be replaced by (standard) egg drop or mystery architecture.
I'd guess that at this point, helicopters is pretty much a lock
#ACESWILD
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

jander14indoor wrote:Helicopter egg drop is another event, unpowered. Its in the physics committee.

Helicopter duration with few changes (yeah, don't expect that triple bonus for chinooks again) will be back in div B next year.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Minor clarification - it's NOT in the physics committee (my committee), rather in the inquiry committee.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

chalker wrote:Minor clarification - it's NOT in the physics committee (my committee), rather in the inquiry committee.
Whoops, sorry, I goofed.

Oh, and to avoid confusion, expect the name for Helicopter Egg Drop to change, but not the substance.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “Helicopters C”