Duration

DLiu
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by DLiu »

Maletitas wrote:I could've sworn I saw gears on the triangular thing... And they only wound one motor...

I think you saw our helicopter during our practice run. We were getting better times with our helicopters that used four gears and one motor but after seeing some of the other helicopters fly, we decided to go safe with our chinook with two motors. I think that decision really paid off since the helicopter was much steadier which enabled us to get our 3:11 time.

The Venue - Where amazing happens.
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

Oh and although we did not make our gears out of coconut shells, we did use the coconut juice instead of Armour All for our rubber. Although it doesn't initially give the rubber more winds, it allowed our rubber to last for a good 5-10 more winds than normal which allowed us to get in over 200 more winds per motor per flight than when we used the lubricant.
Maletitas

Post by Maletitas »

so i guess all the official flights were made without the gears...

darn, i would have liked to see the gears being used to their full potential
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

Creative.
I used hand lotion at the recommendation of someone else, which I'm glad I did for both these years. Much less slippery (can't imagine how many times I would have let go and broken a rotor using that armor all) and come on, its lotion. Its good for you and doesn't hurt skin.
Does the job and its much less annoying to use.

Coconut juice... mhm I might need to look into that

I posted a photo on the helicopter gallery of my chinook, I'd really like it if others would do the same since helicopters isn't around next year so its not like anyone is holding secrets and I know I for one am dying to see other peoples designs since I wasn't at nationals to see.
Especially those coconut gears!!!!
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
Maletitas

Post by Maletitas »

mrsteven wrote:Creative.
I used hand lotion at the recommendation of someone else, which I'm glad I did for both these years. Much less slippery (can't imagine how many times I would have let go and broken a rotor using that armor all) and come on, its lotion. Its good for you and doesn't hurt skin.
Does the job and its much less annoying to use.

Coconut juice... mhm I might need to look into that

I posted a photo on the helicopter gallery of my chinook, I'd really like it if others would do the same since helicopters isn't around next year so its not like anyone is holding secrets and I know I for one am dying to see other peoples designs since I wasn't at nationals to see.
Especially those coconut gears!!!!
yours looked exactly like Troy's! except they had a triangle shaped helicopter...yours is a rectangle.

i also got to see danyalukin's helicopter from ward melville and was amazed...it had two rectangular sheets oriented perpendicularly like a rocket ship. i'm sure if it hadn't gotten stuck it would have easily won first place.
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

Maletitas wrote:so i guess all the official flights were made without the gears...

darn, i would have liked to see the gears being used to their full potential
If you were curious, we actually got the geared helicopter to fly 3:57 releasing it from the ground of the the Venue. However we only had one good run before it got stuck the second time. Luckily we tethered it and could get it unstuck.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Maletitas wrote: yours looked exactly like Troy's! except they had a triangle shaped helicopter...yours is a rectangle.

i also got to see danyalukin's helicopter from ward melville and was amazed...it had two rectangular sheets oriented perpendicularly like a rocket ship. i'm sure if it hadn't gotten stuck it would have easily won first place.
mhm... well I would like to think they copied :P haha but I have no idea and that is probably a gross exaggeration

interesting. Well, I'd always love to see them in the gallery ;)

3:57 raw or with bonus, or even a chinook at all?
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

mrsteven wrote:
Maletitas wrote: yours looked exactly like Troy's! except they had a triangle shaped helicopter...yours is a rectangle.

mhm... well I would like to think they copied :P haha but I have no idea and that is probably a gross exaggeration

It was a chinook with gears. It is school tradition to burn all the engineering events(that don't cost too much) after nationals and unfortunately I didn't have the insight to take a couple of pictures before we burned them this year. However, I will be coming back from college to work with my local middle school on helicopters for Science Olympiad next year and I will make sure to take some pictures. Hopefully it is also seen again at nationals for Division B next year.
DLiu

Post by DLiu »

mrsteven wrote:

I can assure you that we did not copy your helicopter as we never had the chance to see another chinook similar to ours although we saw a similar one at nationals that also used the rectangle. I think that one placed too.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

I'm right behind you on the burning things. I dosed one of my helicopters with lighter fluid and shot a burning arrow at it while camping while flying in a field xD It was actually pretty beautiful after getting it lit off the 3rd shot xD (I do alot of outdoorsy stuff)

The other helicopter I bought a glass case for and I mounted it in my room with my medals and a picture of me and my partner

Well itll be around next year as a B event but i dont think that the chinook bonus will be around 2 year running. There may be another bonus opportunity but who knows? Its Helicopter Egg Drop I think and I cannot imagine MY helicopter flying with the extra mass of an egg, that thing weighs ten times + the actual helicopter.

This was a great event. Only regret is not being able to spend more time on it, although my grades couldn't have taken the hit. I counted one week... I actually spent more hours in 1 week on scioly then I did on school and homework that same week... it was concerning. I legit lived this event for two years with the occasional distraction of towers/robot arm etc.

To DLiu: It was a joke ^.^ sorry its hard to convey that well over forums.
and the rectangle one you speak of, that was New Trier I coached them on the design/materials/construction EDIT: They got 4th

Return to “Helicopters C”