Duration

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Duration

Post by quizbowl »

Just heard the news of Troy's chinook. 3:11 without bonus. Hello, new national champions!
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

>3 minutes!!?! Honestly, I am somewhat relieved that helicopter is taking a little break; I don't know how would be able compete against something like that. I can't wait to see pictures of some of these great designs!
lucwilder42
State: MI

Post by lucwilder42 »

Took second with 2:30. The gym was predictably awful, at least 80% of the teams got stuck on one of their flights. Our saving grace was the ability to fly in the hallway on a nice flat ceiling. The highlight of my day was talking to Dave Zeigler, whose Freedom Flight Models I've been building off of for six years, for a few hours between events :)
I'm just here to build bridges
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

ya! I talked with him last year for an hour in the Shell. I like the Hawaiian shirts he inevitable wears.

You were able to fly in the hall versus in the actual competition area? How did that work out O.o

2:30 is a good time, that Troy's 3:11 I hear was insane. I would have loved to been down in Florida to see that
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
lucwilder42
State: MI

Post by lucwilder42 »

mrsteven wrote:ya! I talked with him last year for an hour in the Shell. I like the Hawaiian shirts he inevitable wears.

You were able to fly in the hall versus in the actual competition area? How did that work out O.o

2:30 is a good time, that Troy's 3:11 I hear was insane. I would have loved to been down in Florida to see that
I myself was amazed with our time, we'd peaked at 2:09 previously but I was able to squeeze in a decent amount more winds on some well conditioned rubbers for the competition flights. The ceiling worked fine, it was a very small area though, so stability was important.
I'm just here to build bridges
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Well cootos (sp?) to you. I can count the number of people with 2:00+ chinooks with two hands, although I must confess I did expect the curve for medaling to be higher since I was also in the 2:30 range so I assumed if I did it other certainly had too...

Are people going to post their pictures of the chinooks now? I'm still quite interested in others interpretations and constructs of them.

Regardless, now gliders next year is our new vice and seeing that I have no place in my area to fly such a thing I think helicopters is where I leave my aviation events and transition to robot arm and boom.
Maletitas

Post by Maletitas »

does anyone know what the top designs were like? i heard troy used gears like we did...i wonder if they were also made of coconuts
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Maletitas wrote:does anyone know what the top designs were like? i heard troy used gears like we did...i wonder if they were also made of coconuts
Hey, could you upload a picture of your coconut-gears chinook on the image gallery?? I would really like to see it. I just posted a couple pictures of my chinook on there and should probably be up for display in a couple of days after its been OKed by the admin.

That's probably a question for the event supervisor or Chalker may have seen it while doing gliders..? Or did Chalker do helicopters... I don't know anymore
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote:
Maletitas wrote:does anyone know what the top designs were like? i heard troy used gears like we did...i wonder if they were also made of coconuts
Hey, could you upload a picture of your coconut-gears chinook on the image gallery?? I would really like to see it. I just posted a couple pictures of my chinook on there and should probably be up for display in a couple of days after its been OKed by the admin.

That's probably a question for the event supervisor or Chalker may have seen it while doing gliders..? Or did Chalker do helicopters... I don't know anymore
I ran helicopters. There were no pulley or geared transmission systems by any teams. By far the most common chinook arrangement was to have two separate fuselages in parallel, each with their own wound motor.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
Maletitas

Post by Maletitas »

I could've sworn I saw gears on the triangular thing... And they only wound one motor...

Return to “Helicopters C”