Rubber

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Rubber

Post by jander14indoor »

Subtle correction. Lubricants like Armorall don't change the elasticity of the rubber. They allow more of the elasticity to be used by preventing the rubber from cutting/damaging itself by internal friction as you wind it. You can put in more winds more reliably while winding with lubed motors than non-lubed motors before breaking.

And it is not really a soaking thing. You can apply, wipe off excess, and use band immediately.

As to which lube is most effective, that's going to be a pretty subtle effect between lubricants vs a VERY large effect lubricant to no lubricant. Probably not the most important thing to test until you have rubber/rotor match sorted out.

I would say to be careful on which lubricants you try, some common ones (vaseline jelly for example) attack rubber degrading its properties. Armorall and similar products made for plastics are proven. I'm not sure how TOO slick can be bad, though you need special notes to hold the rubber together, these are well known.

Handling mess. Like CA, you need to be careful where you get this stuff, it is slick, needs to be to do its job. I keep a zip-loc bag in my flying kit. Spray lube in the bag, drop in motor, rub around, pull motor out, wipe off excess, use. Your motors don't need to be dripping. Wipe hands on a rag also kept in kit.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by mrsteven »

too slippery meaning its much easier to make mistakes, let things slip. The plus of hand lotion, in my opinion, is it does the job very well and nothing is slippery- only slick. (and it is good for thy skin)

anyway, ya what I use degrades the rubber but it doesnt really matter as long as you use the rubber after application (within a few hours) after that you've got issues.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
thsom

Post by thsom »

Where do you guys buy your rubber and winders? I tried fai model supply but i can't seem to order from there, all they have is prices.
chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

thsom wrote:Where do you guys buy your rubber and winders? I tried fai model supply but i can't seem to order from there, all they have is prices.
You have to contact them directly. I believe there is an ordering form for you to mail in on that site (although I also thought they set up an online ordering system a few years ago too).
Other options include indoor specialties (Ray Harlan) and f1d.biz out of Colorado.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Still no improved performance on 1/8th rubber :evil:
I have two helicopters, one with 2cm vertical spacing and 6cm tip to tip and another with 2cm vertical spacing and 8 cm tip to tip. Both produce times 10-15 seconds.
I've tried 2.0g (with 1200 turns), 1.5g (800 turns), and 1.3g (600 turns) of rubber (1.3 was best, at a very low 15 seconds). All at around 3.52 grams for the helicopter.

The flight path consists of rising about 4 feet (when released near the floor), spinning for a second, then slowly falling back down. I'm assuming the issue is power.

What can I do to improve flight times? I'm failing to see where the issue is with the helicopter... Weight is good, pitch doesn't seem high, rotors have a fairly mid-sized surface area, and I've tried different combinations of rubber. Any help?
thedoctor
State: NC

Post by thedoctor »

illusionist wrote:Still no improved performance on 1/8th rubber :evil:
I have two helicopters, one with 2cm vertical spacing and 6cm tip to tip and another with 2cm vertical spacing and 8 cm tip to tip. Both produce times 10-15 seconds.
I've tried 2.0g (with 1200 turns), 1.5g (800 turns), and 1.3g (600 turns) of rubber (1.3 was best, at a very low 15 seconds). All at around 3.52 grams for the helicopter.

The flight path consists of rising about 4 feet (when released near the floor), spinning for a second, then slowly falling back down. I'm assuming the issue is power.

What can I do to improve flight times? I'm failing to see where the issue is with the helicopter... Weight is good, pitch doesn't seem high, rotors have a fairly mid-sized surface area, and I've tried different combinations of rubber. Any help?
hmm that's interesting...Personally I think I use more tip to tip width (maybe around 11 cm? i don't have my stuff with me right now). Also how are you covering your rotors? There should be space in the middle area where the greatest pitch occurs. Is there friction between your rotor and motorstick? Motor hooks getting caught on motorstick? I'm tired and can't really think of anything else at the moment, but the last thing I can think of is that if you're not getting to the ceiling yet release your helicopter as high as possible so it has more space to drop.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I'm leaving the middle 10cm of the rotor open, without covering. Using a bead and a washer, very little friction and the motor hook nor rubber is touching the motor stick. I guess I'll just release higher.
chia

Post by chia »

A whole 10 cm? With that smaller copter, are you sure you have enough surface area on the rotors, then? I think I usually have something like 6 cm, but slightly taller & wider rotors.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
Keplersnr

Post by Keplersnr »

When using an A-Z model helicopter, what are the sizes of the rubber band you use and what times do u get with them? the rubber bands I am using aren't giving me the results I'm looking for...
chia

Post by chia »

Keplersnr wrote:When using an A-Z model helicopter, what are the sizes of the rubber band you use and what times do u get with them? the rubber bands I am using aren't giving me the results I'm looking for...
Well, what rubber are you using now? I think a usual rubber size is .125 inches (1/8) - exact amount varies.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “Helicopters C”