Helicopter Testing

chalker7
Division: Grad
State: HI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Helicopter Testing

Post by chalker7 »

mrsteven wrote:well, as length increase, thus the mass does as well which is what i was getting at. The actual numerical length isn't as important as what it represents in terms of mass on the helicopter, but in the same way more mass = more length= more turns. Length doesn't really matter (given the same width) if you measure the mass and decide you need more turns, so more rubber, so more length. In terms of what you're measuring in the different flight times (when wound to full potential) the mass and length as proportionally related. So the longer, the more mass and thus more winds/time

So as long as you are winding to full potential (you should as Chalker said) and keeping the width variable constant, the length = mass for how the relate to changing flight times, which is what I was saying. No need to measure both as they correlate, yes?
Correct, as long as you are keeping either length or width (which is notoriously difficult to do with even a very high grade rubber stripper) constant, then you can substitute mass for the other variable and it will be fine to start. While the density of competition rubber is relatively consistent, it is not perfect. There are some variations, especially between different batches. Once you start making a large number of motors, it's best to have all three numbers to account for any fluctuations in density or width.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
sr243
Division: C
State: WI
Been thanked: 0

Post by sr243 »

I am having some problems with my helicopter winding. The motorstick is just under 30cm and the rubber band is around 1.9g. I cannot seem to get more than 700 winds on the helicopter (around 1:45 with that many winds). Stuff broke several times when I was at 700 or 750 including the rubber band. I also lubed the rubber with armorall lubricant so I don't know why it is breaking so easily. I suspect it may have to do with how I wind it. I use a winder and then at 700 winds or so, I pinch a point close to the winder and release some winds. Then I take it off the winder and try to attach it onto the hook. I tried to put it directly on, but that hasn't worked for me. I was wondering if anyone know if I am winding it wrong or if there is another issue. Thanks.
I think I realized the issue. I don't use the o-ring on the winder. I just put them on the rubber band and hook it onto the end, but not on the winder end. Stupid me, wasted so many precious rubber bands.
alecfxl

Post by alecfxl »

http://scioly.org/wiki/Wright_Stuff#Winding_Rubber

You'll want to practice breaking a new piece of rubber that's been stretched a bit. I remember 2g of 1/8" for Wright Stuff would give us around >1000 winds.

You are from Waunakee right? I may be at Regional. When are you flying? You should also know to prepare for State conditions, which was in a racquetball room last year.
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

alecfxl wrote:http://scioly.org/wiki/Wright_Stuff#Winding_Rubber

You'll want to practice breaking a new piece of rubber that's been stretched a bit. I remember 2g of 1/8" for Wright Stuff would give us around >1000 winds.

You are from Waunakee right? I may be at Regional. When are you flying? You should also know to prepare for State conditions, which was in a racquetball room last year.
Thanks. I am from Waunakee and this is our first high school team. Unfortunately, we do not have enough people (12) for a full team. Therefore I don't expect us to do too well. Anyways, I will be flying probably around noon from 9:45 to 10:25 or 12:00. That may change because we are missing people for events and I might have to fill in.
Jesus_saves_69
State: AL

Post by Jesus_saves_69 »

Hey I have a quick question. I'm new to Helicopter and I just wanted to know what a 'good' time would be. Our best time during practice was 52 seconds but I have no clue if that's medal worthy or not. Thanks!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Depends on the site/region/state. Fifty-two seconds is certainly a very respectable start. Experienced teams or lots of effort should get you into the two minute range. I expect nationals to be over three minutes. Don't know if it will be by a little or a lot.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

I've noticed that there are a few thresholds that one finds in this event. I've stolen this from someone I've talked to in the past (illazar maybe?) but still holds true.
There specific groupings are based off of last year, the actually TIMES labeled will be different, but I personally believe the same type of grouping will be seen again

There are 3-4 main sections one falls in:
Under 1:00, kind of all over the board in terms of actual timing (generally the one closest to 1:00 at regionals will place in less competitive states/regionals)

once won hits above 1:00 the scores almost always jumps to 1:15, I've seen very few times between those to.

The next major conjunction is 1:30

The at that point where one is over 1:30, generally their within the 2 minute range, these are the really quality ones that will place in said state competitions (depending on state). The range between 1:30-ish to 2:00-ish is bare, most are right above or below that mark.

those are of last year, but with the new rules, I havent seen enough fly this year thus far to predict a good set of groupings.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

What's the preferred method for matching rubber with pitch? I know both ways work, but do you keep the rotors constant and change the rubberband, or use the same thickness of rubberband and then build different rotors to match?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

either or type of thing. I'd find the best possible time with that sp. rubber then do up/down 1 size of rubber and then find best, use the best of best.
thats if you have goo-gops of time to spend testing however

Has anyone had issues with FAI? I ordered rubber from them 2-3 weeks ago and nothing yet, not even an email. I called them twice with no response and now I'm freaking out a bit and quite mad >< they took my money and I can't get to them at all.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
chia
Division: Grad

Post by chia »

mrsteven wrote:Has anyone had issues with FAI? I ordered rubber from them 2-3 weeks ago and nothing yet, not even an email. I called them twice with no response and now I'm freaking out a bit and quite mad >< they took my money and I can't get to them at all.
Huh. I haven't bough anything from FAI since the last time I stocked up on rubber a year ago. I buy most of my stuff now from Turnertoys, Freedom Flight, and A2Z, and also balsa wood from some previously mentioned sites.
I think FAI might be slower in processing orders than the other sites, though. I may remember my rubber having arrived about two and a half weeks after I ordered it.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “Helicopters C”