Future Aviation Events

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Future Aviation Events

Post by retired1 »

Quite simple. I provide some equipment and materials for the teams that I mentor. Last year it was $1500 that I kept track of. It will hurt if I wasted $250.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

retired1 wrote:Quite simple. I provide some equipment and materials for the teams that I mentor. Last year it was $1500 that I kept track of. It will hurt if I wasted $250.
... 250 is about my entire budget last year for all the engineering events for me to cover.
Mhm, thats very nice that you provide that to the team you mentor!
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Well, last year was 2 HS and 3 MS teams and a total of 9 events. Being retired has some benefits, time being one.

Robot arm is going to wipe out the budget this year.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

oh, well thats pretty cool. I hope I can still stay involved in S.O. after I graduate this year with helping out teams.
I hear you on that one. Since I'm doing at it with the intention of trying to medal, the rest of my events are suffering significantly in funding where I might not even be able to get a competitive boom or g-vehicle out there and still dig in a few hundred in my pocket.

Anyway, rules come out soon! Glad to hear that so I can get the ball rolling with getting materials and finishing up designs to the new specs.
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Honestly, a decent robot arm isn't going to cost you hundreds of dollars. An operational one can be built for under $100. A really competitive one can easily be built for $175. After a certain point, the ability of the arm becomes less important and the ability of the student who controls the arm rises.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Thats true, just that I'm a little weird and want to do things the difficult way. I dont want a run-of-the-mill craw arm and remotes i want to do something more interesting and challenging to build and control.
Orange714

Post by Orange714 »

Anyone have the articles from the website saved and could you send me? I really do hope that the site comes back up...otherwise it would be very very bad.

Thanks in advance :D
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

Orange714 wrote:Anyone have the articles from the website saved and could you send me? I really do hope that the site comes back up...otherwise it would be very very bad.

Thanks in advance :D
I, while writing the ELG page on the wiki, did end up summarizing a lot of those articls, so you should check the wiki pages out; it might be helpful.

If the page still isn't back by the time school starts, I will scan and upload the plans I have printed out from the site to the wiki (pending approval from the wiki mods).
_HenryHscioly_
State: CA

Post by _HenryHscioly_ »

I've broken two planes, where the fuselage ripped off from the wing when I launched.
The wing to fuselage connection was flat, 1/8"x2".
I used loctite super glue gel.

Is the glue no good for that kind of joint? something else like woodglue or modelcement glue?
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

_HenryHscioly_ wrote:I've broken two planes, where the fuselage ripped off from the wing when I launched.
The wing to fuselage connection was flat, 1/8"x2".
I used loctite super glue gel.

Is the glue no good for that kind of joint? something else like woodglue or modelcement glue?
CA Glue might work. Your wings might also be inclined too much so that force rips it off.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Return to “Helicopters C”