Future Aviation Events

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Future Aviation Events

Post by illusionist »

What are the launchers generally made out of, and is a Y shape preferred, or simply a stick with a rubberband on top? With the stick, I'd imagine that the glider would bump into the top of the stick where the rubberband is attached.
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

Everything that I have read uses a wood stick. I think that most contest competition (not SO) use a stick with a hole drilled and filed near the top. One picture that I saw had the plane during launch just beyond the stick and it appeared to be 2-4 inches above the stick. I do not think that you will have any problem using a standard "hook" size and location on the fuselage. It evidently forces it up as well as there is some lift happening.
I remember cheap kiddie gliders from a long time ago and they did not hit the launch stick.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

illusionist wrote:What are the launchers generally made out of, and is a Y shape preferred, or simply a stick with a rubberband on top? With the stick, I'd imagine that the glider would bump into the top of the stick where the rubberband is attached.
My launcher is very crude; just an old helicopter elastic on a screw screwed into the top of a dowel, and I haven't had any issues with it. Now, it may take a little effort to get your launch technique to a place where your glider doesn't hit your launcher, but that is probably easier than building a y-shaped launcher. As for how to launch successfully, I have tried to assembly a decent walkthrough on the wiki, and would love to hear feedback about how clear it is.
corsair2014
Division: C
State: TX

Post by corsair2014 »

is it possible to have more than one wing?

for example, i was thinking of a canard glider

one wing 15 cm (in the front), and a seperate wing that is 30 cm. is this legal, or do they add a cumulative total of wing span?
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

corsair2014 wrote:is it possible to have more than one wing?

for example, i was thinking of a canard glider

one wing 15 cm (in the front), and a seperate wing that is 30 cm. is this legal, or do they add a cumulative total of wing span?
The rules are not yet released so you will need to wait a week or two before you know for sure (unless one of the people with an advance copy of the rules wants to chime in).

Return to “Helicopters C”