Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Future Aviation Events

Post by mrsteven »

wing span, maybe a limit on stabs, weight, flight log requirements, limitations on rubber, materials, the blunt object on nose size
(sounds about it)
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Ok thanks! Time to start some prototypes...
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Orange714
Division: C

Post by Orange714 »

Hey guys, I was wondering what brand/where you buy those super small balances? The kind that like fit in your hand, and are use to weigh helicopters, elg, towers. A link would be awesome!

Thanks in advance :)
chia

Post by chia »

Orange714 wrote:Hey guys, I was wondering what brand/where you buy those super small balances? The kind that like fit in your hand, and are use to weigh helicopters, elg, towers. A link would be awesome!

Thanks in advance :)
This is the one I've got. I'm pretty sure a lot of people have something similar. You should be able to get a good one for under $20. Here's a couple of other posts about that on last year's thread...
illusionist on the 2011 Helicopter forum wrote:Search for gram scales on Amazon, and you will find some great deals. Get one that has 0.01 gram accuracy, even though they might be a little more expensive. http://www.amazon.com/iFits-0-01g-Pocke ... 63&sr=1-26
There's one, and even though it's small, you can put a piece of cardboard on top and zero out the scale.
lonestar on the 2011 Helicopter forum wrote:I bought one off amazon. It was this one I believe. Less than $20, up to 1000g, .1g accuracy. That brand also has a scale with .01g accuracy but it only goes up to 100g so I got the one that I could use for other, heavier (non-aircraft) situations becuse I was in need of a digital scale anyway.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
chia

Post by chia »

Calling it now, this is going to be the event which comes after ELG ;)
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

Star Trek yeah!!!!! Isn't that just Wright Stuff? Or how does the propeller work?
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

I was finally able to get to my local hobby store to get materials to begin messing around with the elastic launch glider, and, not suprisingly, the sheets of 1/32" think balsa I got (I am planning on starting off with the simple simon) are somewhat wavy. Does anyone here have a good method for flattening them out?
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

twototwenty wrote:I was finally able to get to my local hobby store to get materials to begin messing around with the elastic launch glider, and, not suprisingly, the sheets of 1/32" think balsa I got (I am planning on starting off with the simple simon) are somewhat wavy. Does anyone here have a good method for flattening them out?
Any methods for flattening the wood will just be temporary, it will go back to its naturally wavy state eventually. Instead, you have to be very careful with initial wood selection. Next time you visit the hobby store, go through all of their stock of balsa before choosing the best sheets (look for low weight, high strength, evenness of grain and flatness)
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Unfortunately, my hobby store had a very limited supply of balsa sheets that thin, and all of the sheets were wavy to one degree or another...I guess I'll just have to give it a shot with what I have. Thanks for the help, anyway.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Sorry for the double post, but I had another question, after having finished my first glider:

When I launch it (a simple simon), instead of transitioning into a glide, it flips upside down and loops backwards back to the ground. Am I right in my diagnosis that this is probably due to a too-positive incidence, and I need to adjust the elevator? (I may not be explaining this well enough; let me know if should elaborate)

Return to “Helicopters C”