Future Aviation Events

fanjiatian
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Future Aviation Events

Post by fanjiatian »

Are there any links that would help with determining shapes and the densities of the winds of the glider?

Edit: wings
Sorry :P
Last edited by fanjiatian on July 27th, 2012, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozendog
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by fozendog »

fanjiatian wrote:Are there any links that would help with determining shapes and the densities of the winds of the glider?
I don't know if this would help, but this website was really helpful for me:
http://legacy.amaglider.com/
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by twototwenty »

fanjiatian wrote:Are there any links that would help with determining shapes and the densities of the winds of the glider?
Not really sre what you mean by this; would you mind clarifying/rephrasing?
fozendog

Post by fozendog »

twototwenty wrote:
Not really sre what you mean by this; would you mind clarifying/rephrasing?
I think they meant wings
And from my experience, rectangular shaped wings are better than triangular shaped.
Stanford '19
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

I also did not understand the question.
The legacy web site will take you to Stan B's article which is outstanding. If you follow his instructions, you can be competitive. He is one of the current best indoor glider people.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

I am having a problem with launching: I can launch the glider without rolling (rotating it one way or the other about the axis of the fuse) it at all without any problems, and it loops backwards as expected, but when I try to roll it to obtain a corkscrew ascent, I end up breaking it on my hand/launch handle in the launch. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Should I be giving it yaw or pitching it instead of rolling it?
Last edited by twototwenty on August 5th, 2012, 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

I suggest that you go to wiki at this site and go to the AMA pages. There is a tiny bit of conflict between them, but overall a great source of information.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

retired1 wrote:I suggest that you go to wiki at this site and go to the AMA pages. There is a tiny bit of conflict between them, but overall a great source of information.
Thanks for the response, but...go to the wiki's page and look at its editting history ;)
Unfortunately, I cannot find very much on the AMA website about the specifics of the launch.
Anyway, since you mentionedit, what are the conflicts between the wiki andthe AMA website? I based everything I wrote off of the website, this thread, or my own (limited) experience. If there is a difference between it and the ama site, the ama site is almost certainly right, and the wiki needs to be fixed.
fozendog

Post by fozendog »

twototwenty wrote:I am having a problem with launching: I can launch the glider without pitching (rotating it one way or the other about the axis of the fuse) it at all without any problems, and it loops backwards as expected, but when I try to pitch it to obtain a corkscrew ascent, I end up breaking it on my hand/launch handle in the launch. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong? Should I be giving it yaw or rolling it instead of pitching it?
What is your launcher like? If the rubber band (or whatever elastic you are using) is not at the very top of the launcher it tends to hit something.
Stanford '19
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

The launcher is fine; the elastic is attached to the very top. Like I wrote before, I can launch the glider pointed straight, but when I roll it to one side or the other to get it to ascend in a corkscrew so that it doesn't loop backwards, the wings hit the launch handle.

Return to “Helicopters C”