2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida

Angstrom
Division: C
State: TX

Re: 2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida

Postby Angstrom » October 16th, 2011, 6:51 am

At UCF, on-campus housing closes May 1st, and Commencement is four days later. They end super-early, as opposed to most colleges, which just end kinda early. If they don't offer dorms, it's not because they're full.

http://www.registrar.sdes.ucf.edu/calen ... 12/spring/
Kealing '09
LASA '13

Hard science.

Division: B
State: FL
Location: 221b Baker Street, or wherever The Doctor takes me.

Postby Karma » October 17th, 2011, 8:16 pm

To answer the speculation on whether or not the teams will be staying in dorm rooms on-site:

Based on the information provided on the site UCF has put up for nationals this year, I highly doubt the teams will be staying in dorm rooms at the college. To directly quote a page on this website, it has a link to a list of hotels, and then states:
"The hotels below have been notified of the 2012 Science Olympiad National Tournament. Some are providing discounts to teams and their guests. However, it is possible that cheaper rates may be found online.
For information on hotels, please contact the location directly. Science Olympiad organizing committee provides this information for your planning purposes only."
Events:
2009-2010:Disease Detectives(1st),Anatomy,and Meterology.
2011-2012:Disease Detectives(3rd), Microbe Mission,Compute This,
and Write It, Do It, Meteorology(1st),Forestry,and Rocks and Minerals.
2012-2013: Disease Detectives, Meteorology, and Anatomy.

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » October 17th, 2011, 8:28 pm

If this is true, then some teams are going to have some serious issues finding enough space. Besides that, it's just so much farther to walk from a hotel than from dorms within campus.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Postby rfscoach » October 18th, 2011, 4:22 pm

To answer the speculation on whether or not the teams will be staying in dorm rooms on-site:

Based on the information provided on the site UCF has put up for nationals this year, I highly doubt the teams will be staying in dorm rooms at the college. To directly quote a page on this website, it has a link to a list of hotels, and then states:
"The hotels below have been notified of the 2012 Science Olympiad National Tournament. Some are providing discounts to teams and their guests. However, it is possible that cheaper rates may be found online.
For information on hotels, please contact the location directly. Science Olympiad organizing committee provides this information for your planning purposes only."
At this point last year, UW Madison only had hotel info posted. They did not post dorm info until much later in the SO season.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

tornado guy
State: WA

Postby tornado guy » October 18th, 2011, 8:39 pm

At this point last year, UW Madison only had hotel info posted. They did not post dorm info until much later in the SO season.
It's waaay early in the SO year. Heck, invites haven't even begun :P We should know more by the start of the new year (2012).
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

PAweatherguy
Division: Grad
State: UT

Postby PAweatherguy » October 21st, 2011, 2:37 pm

I hope everyone who goes enjoys this year's national competition! The Florida state organization is great... and I'm glad to see them hosting nationals this year! Besides... how many have always wanted to go to Disney World AND Nationals! ;)
Science Olympiad Alumni 2005 (FL State Champs 1999-2005)
Penn State Alumni 2007- Meteorology

TheKing
State: NE

Postby TheKing » October 21st, 2011, 10:20 pm

The Florida state organization is great...
What about Central Florida?

JKrafsur
State: CO

Postby JKrafsur » October 22nd, 2011, 6:32 am

Its funny, Im going to Florida in February/March to watch the Daytona 500 and just soak up the sun away from this snowy wasteland known as Colorado. I think it would be pretty awesome to go twice in 3 months to Florida!!
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

TheBookworm
State: FL

Postby TheBookworm » October 22nd, 2011, 8:48 am

@ PAweatherguy

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haha...you're so funny...the Florida State Organization usually sucks. The university doesn't normally let Scioly use the labs, so for all you CrimeBuster people, be prepared to exit the room and use the bathrooms to clean out your supplies. And then there's the fact that it's like 100 degrees and you've been running back and forth the entire day and they do the closing ceremony outside, which is pretty horrible and stinky. There's a whole bunch of other problems, but those were the first to pop up in my mind. maybe they'll change this year, I'm crossing my fingers, since they are hosting the Nationals this year, but still: prepare to be dissapointed.
The ladder of success is never crowded at the top. And I'm at the bottom

tornado guy
State: WA

Postby tornado guy » October 22nd, 2011, 10:15 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Haha...you're so funny...the Florida State Organization usually sucks. The university doesn't normally let Scioly use the labs, so for all you CrimeBuster people, be prepared to exit the room and use the bathrooms to clean out your supplies. And then there's the fact that it's like 100 degrees and you've been running back and forth the entire day and they do the closing ceremony outside, which is pretty horrible and stinky. There's a whole bunch of other problems, but those were the first to pop up in my mind. maybe they'll change this year, I'm crossing my fingers, since they are hosting the Nationals this year, but still: prepare to be dissapointed.
First off are you talking about Central Florida University? Second of all of that stuff will NOT happen at a national competition... Except the running back and forth between events ;)
I also realized you said Florida State Organization. The National Organization runs nats.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

Return to “2012 Nationals”