Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: 2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida

Post by Kokonilly » March 25th, 2012, 9:05 pm

JKrafsur wrote:
Luo wrote:
bentley8 wrote:Are there group rates for disney world or universal?
Are they expansive? Ifeel like we don;t have enough funds for this lol
Our coach says that it's going to be $85 per person for Disney World.
I dont know if any of you will take my advice but its worth a try. I was in Orlando about 3 weeks ago on break and here is the reality. Disneyworld is EXTREMELY BORING unless you buy the Park Hopper Pass for an extra cost, this can be pricey (like 120 a ticket per day). Unless you plan on riding 2-3 rides only or are going to be there for a short time, get the park hopper or you will be bored outta your mind. The regular passes (like I had) only allowed you into one park a day, and each park only has 1-3 good rides, obviously that wont entertain you for the day. And if you want to go on all of the rides, they obviously wont have all of the rides in one park. Also, when at Disney, get there EARLY at opening time. Since you guys will be in big groups, you probably want to get fast passes for later. My recommendation is to get there in the early hours and wait in the standby lines since there often arent many people until later, and while that is happening, reserve your fast passes for the later rides, and do the same while waiting for the next rides, by reserving your fastpasses for later. (They are free, but you have to wait like 1-2 hours to get them) I know most people probably think its crazy to spend $120 bucks for one day, but if you really wanna have fun, its pretty much the only way.
I think that's a bit harsh... Disney is what you make of it. I've never been there with a large group, and quite honestly I think it would be more fun that way. If you let yourself go a little bit (like go to meet the characters and such :) ), stay hydrated/cool, and just try to have fun, I think you will. Man, I envy that you can go at all. I really hope you all enjoy yourselves! :) (Credentials: I've been to Disneyland and Disneyworld about three times each and have also been on a Disney cruise.)

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur » March 25th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Kokonilly wrote: I think that's a bit harsh... Disney is what you make of it. I've never been there with a large group, and quite honestly I think it would be more fun that way. If you let yourself go a little bit (like go to meet the characters and such :) ), stay hydrated/cool, and just try to have fun, I think you will. Man, I envy that you can go at all. I really hope you all enjoy yourselves! :) (Credentials: I've been to Disneyland and Disneyworld about three times each and have also been on a Disney cruise.)
Oh I know how you feel, there is absolutely no way we are going to win state competition for the 1 spot at nationals. I wouldnt say I had a bad experience at Disney, but it would have been much more fun if I could have gone on more rides and more often.
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo » March 25th, 2012, 9:31 pm

JKrafsur wrote:Oh I know how you feel, there is absolutely no way we are going to win state competition for the 1 spot at nationals.
Hey, keep your hopes up that Oklahoma drops out so Colorado can get a second spot for Division B!
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat » March 25th, 2012, 11:20 pm

Luo wrote:
JKrafsur wrote:Oh I know how you feel, there is absolutely no way we are going to win state competition for the 1 spot at nationals.
Hey, keep your hopes up that Oklahoma drops out so Colorado can get a second spot for Division B!
And then WA gets a second spot for Division C! :D
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur » March 26th, 2012, 5:43 am

Luo wrote: Hey, keep your hopes up that Oklahoma drops out so Colorado can get a second spot for Division B!
Even that is going to be really hard to do, there are about 4 teams vying for a spot
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 » March 27th, 2012, 3:43 pm

starpug wrote:I would love to be able to say "I'm going to Disney world" when someone asks me what I'm going to do now that my team has won the Maine state competition.
Motivation. I like it.

haverstall

Post by haverstall » March 28th, 2012, 9:46 am

Don't know if anyone here is from Nevada, but this article was just posted, and I find it very interesting, and am interested in how the situation will turn out.

Any opinions? Personally, I think Centennial should go, since there is no provision of scores being official, and not to turn this out to a major legal battle, but when dealing with competitions of this magnitude, the scores should be correct.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics » March 28th, 2012, 10:49 am

:o
Dude...
Centennial should go. Seriously. They won. It's ethics and integrity, everything that Science Olympiad should be. What Clark is doing right now is making Science Olympiad something that it should never be--a competition that is more about WINWINWIN than learning and doing the best you can--and being fair.
It's things like this that take away from the integrity and face of Science Olympiad. Science Olympiad shouldn't be "well, we won first, so we should go, even if they made a mistake and we shouldn't have gotten first anyways." Personally, I see it as Clark refusing to accept that they lost and giving their spot to Centennial, who actually deserved it in the first place. I can see Clark being a bit reluctant and unhappy, but...if Centennial won, fair and square, then Clark should let go of their spot.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo » March 28th, 2012, 12:18 pm

As an outside observer, I do hope that the rightful winner (Centennial) ends up getting to go to Nationals, but I'd take a more sympathetic stance than foreverphysics in terms of treating Clark's plight. If Clark was told that they won, and even had the opportunity to announce their victory via school media, I think it's understandable and acceptable that they are upset and are seeking to maintain their spot at Nationals. But as I said, I do believe Centennial should get to go, as they earned the right to do so by their performance.

Although I hate to criticize the state organization since it's completely voluntary and wonderful of them to take the time and effort to run the Olympiad, I hope that this will serve as a lesson for all state organizations to be exceedingly careful in score counseling and proofreading so that sticky messes like this don't occur. I hope that other state directors and tournament organizers will put in place appropriate protocol and rules to ensure that errors like this don't happen, and if errors do happen, that there is a procedure in place to deal with them.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » March 28th, 2012, 2:26 pm

I think Centennial should go. Clark has gone to nationals in the past, and if Centennial is the rightful champion, they deserve to go. Our team kind of had this happen to us with the MVC tournament, which we would have won had they used tiebreakers in the Forestry event, but instead Lehighton got the trophy. Since that isn't really a qualifying round for anything, we didn't really try to get the trophy back, but I can understand where Centennial is coming from. Nationals is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, which I have never had the pleasure of enjoying, and if they won, they should go. Plain and simple. Clark, it may stink, but you didn't win, so you should let Centennial go. Sorry. :|

Luo, I see where you're coming from, but they have gone to nationals before, so they've been able to do this via school media before. Of course they'll be slightly upset, but it shouldn't be enough for them to turn this into something nasty.

I think what Nevada needs to do is take a firmer stance on this, because they can't rightfully deny a spot for Centennial. They need to tell Clark that Centennial is going to nationals, meaning that they can't. There's not a whole lot Clark can argue against this, since they didn't win.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Return to “2012 Nationals”