2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida

FueL
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida

Post by FueL »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Does anyone know when/if they will post pictures from the Parade/Competition/Awards on the National Website?
I'm wondering about this too. Last year was it a while before they added the photos/videos to youtube?
ornithology, forestry, entomology, triple E, green generation, water quality, dynamic planet (lakes & rivers), awesome aquifers, meteorology, robot arm, write it do it. :)
A cone of depression occurs when you drop your scoop of ice cream on the ground on a hot summer day.
Barker
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by Barker »

Lily Essence wrote:Just curious, but does anyone happen to know the exact school that the Japanese ambassador team is from?
Saitama Prefectural Urawa Senior High School, it's on the back of the shirts
TREES!
babybig
Division: B
State: CA

Post by babybig »

Does anyone else wish they were back in Orlando right now? :(
Winston Churchill Middle School, Norcal
2011 Nationals~Microbe Mission 2nd Place

2012 Nationals~
Microbe Mission-5th Place
Disease Detectives-6th Place
Reach for the Stars-5th Place

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

I just wish we were back at Islands of Adventure...that was the best part of it all.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Luo wrote:Chalker, how did the scoring process go? The awards ceremony seemed to go on without a hitch. :)

I felt it went great, and got a lot of compliments from others at our meeting on Sunday about it. Of course we had a few minor hiccups, which is why the ceremony started about 6 minutes late. I'm curious if anyone noticed me running in in front of the stage at 7:35 with all the printouts and scripts and such?

We pressed the 'save' button on the final event's raw score sheet in the Student Union at 7:15 according to the timestamp on the file. I'm pretty happy with the fact that it only took about 20 minutes to generate all the PowerPoint slides, printout the scripts for the MCs and the master scoresheets for the coaches, and physically transport all that from the Union to the Arena.

I did learn an important lesson for the future: it's faster to bring a 110MB PowerPoint presentation on a thumbdrive with a golf cart across campus then the try to upload / download it with Dropbox over the campus WiFi network;)

And of course the 6th place tie in Towers B threw a big monkey wrench at me. Luckily we found out about it pretty early in the process, and B division scoring was complete at 6:45, so I had time to manually correct the slides and scripts.

Any suggestions or comments on the way we displayed the results at the Arena? We'll be using the same system next year, but can make changes as appropriate.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

chalker wrote:
Luo wrote:Chalker, how did the scoring process go? The awards ceremony seemed to go on without a hitch. :)

I felt it went great, and got a lot of compliments from others at our meeting on Sunday about it. Of course we had a few minor hiccups, which is why the ceremony started about 6 minutes late. I'm curious if anyone noticed me running in in front of the stage at 7:35 with all the printouts and scripts and such?

We pressed the 'save' button on the final event's raw score sheet in the Student Union at 7:15 according to the timestamp on the file. I'm pretty happy with the fact that it only took about 20 minutes to generate all the PowerPoint slides, printout the scripts for the MCs and the master scoresheets for the coaches, and physically transport all that from the Union to the Arena.

I did learn an important lesson for the future: it's faster to bring a 110MB PowerPoint presentation on a thumbdrive with a golf cart across campus then the try to upload / download it with Dropbox over the campus WiFi network;)

And of course the 6th place tie in Towers B threw a big monkey wrench at me. Luckily we found out about it pretty early in the process, and B division scoring was complete at 6:45, so I had time to manually correct the slides and scripts.

Any suggestions or comments on the way we displayed the results at the Arena? We'll be using the same system next year, but can make changes as appropriate.
I really did like the awards ceremony overall; however, I would've loved to see the team scores along with their placings if possible. Perhaps there was an intentional reason for leaving them off the powerpoint?
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
chalker

Post by chalker »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
I really did like the awards ceremony overall; however, I would've loved to see the team scores along with their placings if possible. Perhaps there was an intentional reason for leaving them off the powerpoint?
Yes, I was explicitly asked by 'the big boss' to take them off. I originally had them on there.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Congratulations on a job well done, Chalker. :) A couple small details: our team would have preferred to hear the school names announced before the state names to increase suspense. Also, there seemed to be some minor inconsistencies in school names; for example, the phrase "High School" being left off of "New Trier," which seemed to confuse the announcers at times.

One way to expedite the ceremony would be to do as they did last year, which is to announce the next event as pictures are being taken for the previous event, instead of waiting for the pictures to be all taken before announcing the next event. Since the two divisions are staggered, this wouldn't create excessive congestion on stage, and would eliminate some of the awkward pauses that existed while the announcers waited for pictures to be taken.

Once again, kudos for a smooth ceremony and for your work on the tournament. It was nice to meet you as you were running to Mag-Lev. ;)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

A suggestion, I'd actually rather see the kids coming up on stage and recieving their award than see the names on a powerpoint... But I do like how it was done this year!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: WA

Post by Aia »

I thought the streaming and presentation of the scores was really well done. It was VERY helpful to see the rankings written out on a powerpoint during the ceremony. It's otherwise too easy to miss names here and there. The other thing I noticed was that the ceremony went pretty efficiently once it began, which was nice.

That being said, the only minor issue I saw was the tie in towers. Normally, I wouldn't say much about this (albeit unlikely, ties are possible in towers), but it sounded like the scale in that event was .1g instead of .01g. At any rate, that's not an issue with scoring... that certainly has more to do with how that event was run.

Overall, I give the ceremony an A+ after watching the stream.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

Return to “2012 Nationals”