Will/Did You Make It to Nationals?

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Will You Make It to Nationals?

Post by SciBomb97 »

havenguy wrote:Sometimes, I tell my team that (especially some of the younger kids) that we won't even come close to winning unless we pick up our game, and we have been told that by our coaches quite a few times. It may have been a strategy to motivate you to try harder.
Just a random comment on that, but I don't think such motivation is what wins teams spots to nationals. SO is a competition, but it is also a learning field for the scientifically fascinated. If the individual team members really enjoy learning what they do and like the thrill of competition, well I guess that's what I see as a motivated team...but we all have our opinions. But I'm not trying to put anybody down here, just putting out another view of things, that's all. :)
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
JKrafsur
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur »

SciBomb97 wrote:
havenguy wrote:Sometimes, I tell my team that (especially some of the younger kids) that we won't even come close to winning unless we pick up our game, and we have been told that by our coaches quite a few times. It may have been a strategy to motivate you to try harder.
Just a random comment on that, but I don't think such motivation is what wins teams spots to nationals. SO is a competition, but it is also a learning field for the scientifically fascinated. If the individual team members really enjoy learning what they do and like the thrill of competition, well I guess that's what I see as a motivated team...but we all have our opinions. But I'm not trying to put anybody down here, just putting out another view of things, that's all. :)
Well, to be honest, I pretty much say the exact same thing to my team that unless we step up, we are gonna lose. I even offered people to pie me in the face if they win a medal at state, its a win win for me. Also, on SciBomb's point, I dont think anybody on our team cares about it for the learning, maybe 1 or 2 kids, but its mostly about the competition for us, but I agree, its mostly opinion based.
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

SciBomb97 wrote:
In my opinion, the main point of Science Olympiad is to have students learn about science. However, by adding a competitive aspect to Science Olympiad, students want to win and have more reason to work harder on events, therefor learning more about science. In that sense, a motivated team is a team that wants and enjoys to win, and learns a lot about science in the process.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Slarik
State: MD

Post by Slarik »

fishman100 wrote:
havenguy wrote:Anyway, I've been curious if any teams have made hotel and travel reservations before the state competition. Does anybody know of this? I'm fairly sure it's been discussed before.
Last year one team who thought they were going to win States bought their plane tickets before the competition. Too bad they didn't win.
Don't do the opposite either... someone on our team bought tickets for a cruise during may :shock: ... and now can't come with us to nationals :cry:

Fortunately for the rest of the team, he was only doing one "study" event. He's going to be missed though!
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
TGolemo94
State: NH

Post by TGolemo94 »

See y'all in Orlando! 5 weeks and three days!
Merrimack Science Olympiad Head Coach
SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

Slarik wrote: Don't do the opposite either... someone on our team bought tickets for a cruise during may :shock: ... and now can't come with us to nationals :cry:

Fortunately for the rest of the team, he was only doing one "study" event. He's going to be missed though!
If I were that guy, I would skip the cruise and go to nationals.๏_๏
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
Cedavis6

Post by Cedavis6 »

I really think so... I just need to study and pray.
States first, though.
MrX
State: MD

Post by MrX »

Extra motivation for you seniors who have prom on the same day as nationals. http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3osn0f/
Walter Johnson HS '12
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Happy to say my school's prom is the week after Nationals.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

See you all there! :)
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2012 Nationals”