tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: States sending two teams

Post by tornado guy »

Luo wrote:
haverstall wrote:...how exactly did you confirm that?
I emailed the Putnam City coach. I also emailed the coach of Casady Middle School (the Oklahoma Division B champions), who told me that Casady WILL be attending nationals. So Oklahoma is only giving up their Division C spot this year, not Division B.
Hate to say it, but that probably puts Colorado out of a second spot. In the past usually teams have relied on Oklahoma to drop a spot so they can go to nats.. Oregon has dropped spots in the past, but our team has talked with Franklin middle school (who always wins state and gives up their spot) this year and from what it sounds like I believe they are planning on attending nationals if they win.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
lakersfan2012
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by lakersfan2012 »

There were definitely not 66 teams that showed up at the WI state o.O
My user name is proof I was a Lakers fan before LeBron

4 years Div C - WI
6 years coaching - WI
1 year coaching (and counting) - MI
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

The 66 teams were the ones that registered as a team. Not all of them made it to state (some were eliminated at regional levels).
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
JKrafsur
State: CO

Post by JKrafsur »

tornado guy wrote:
Luo wrote:
haverstall wrote:...how exactly did you confirm that?
I emailed the Putnam City coach. I also emailed the coach of Casady Middle School (the Oklahoma Division B champions), who told me that Casady WILL be attending nationals. So Oklahoma is only giving up their Division C spot this year, not Division B.
Hate to say it, but that probably puts Colorado out of a second spot. In the past usually teams have relied on Oklahoma to drop a spot so they can go to nats.. Oregon has dropped spots in the past, but our team has talked with Franklin middle school (who always wins state and gives up their spot) this year and from what it sounds like I believe they are planning on attending nationals if they win.
Well, I am no longer concerned, because we lost, so now I dont have to worry about that anymore
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

JKrafsur wrote: Well, I am no longer concerned, because we lost, so now I dont have to worry about that anymore
Sometimes it's good to not be second, eh? Our first year (2009) we were third place at state -- and they only were sending one team, and we all decided the third place was less stressful where we didn't have to say "oh so close..." That year we enjoyed our third very much.

So this year, we got second, missing first by 7 points, and it sort of stings to know not only "oh, so close" but also to know that another state with the same number of B teams is sending two teams but we can't.

There's got to be a reason, but I am guessing I'll never know it.

Good tourney though... But, HOT, whew! Cranked the air when I got in the car!
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

Paradox21 wrote:
Julian wrote:What is the rationale for a state to give up it's spot at Nationals? I can't imagine why the OK state champs would not want to go, unless it's a funding problem or something similar.
Well, there are VERY few teams in OK. I suspect that none of them take SO very seriously. In the past OK has sent teams to nationals and both times they placed 59th. A trip to nationals is quite expensive, there is no doubt, but it also takes a ton of planning on the part of the coach and/or the team captains. I suspect that based on their repeated disappointing performance at nationals, the OK teams have concluded that it simply isn't worth it to put in all of the time and effort required to make it to nationals only to find that as a team, they are not as prepared as they would like to be.

OK has dropped out every year for the past three years and has not attended nationals for the past four years. If I were the second place Washington team (although they don't yet know who they are) I would prepare and anticipate getting the spot to go to nationals.
In Oklahoma it is kind of hard to get into stuff like SO because the schools put a lot of emphasis on sports. That is for rural communities, I dont know about Tulsa or OKC.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
FormerBuilder

Post by FormerBuilder »

How many of the teams making nationals are really only one team of 15 kids that go from Regionals to States to Nationals together. I heard someone say that some teams change up the members on the team and kids can challenge to replace others. What they said was that in some schools the team really is 30 or 40 kids not 15 even though only 15 compete at each competition. The kids on the team that went to Regionals could be completely different from those that went to Nationals. Not sure if that really happens though cause it seems different from the intentions.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

FormerBuilder wrote:How many of the teams making nationals are really only one team of 15 kids that go from Regionals to States to Nationals together. I heard someone say that some teams change up the members on the team and kids can challenge to replace others. What they said was that in some schools the team really is 30 or 40 kids not 15 even though only 15 compete at each competition. The kids on the team that went to Regionals could be completely different from those that went to Nationals. Not sure if that really happens though cause it seems different from the intentions.
From the soinc.org website :
08/21/2008 - 13:23 May a team member participate in the state competition if they cannot participate in the regional competition?
Each tournament is independently organized. Your team may be composed of any students who meet the requirements. They do not have to be the same as those who competed in previous tournaments.
At my school, we start off the year in August with 55+ kids studying 3-6 events and register 3 teams with the state. We have an in school practice tournament in Nov/Dec to narrow down to 45 kids who will compete on our 3 teams at Invitationals and Regionals. Placement of students on each on the 3 teams varies at each tournament based on prior performance, practice tests, and the different conflicts created by each tournament schedule. The best combination of 15 move on to State and although we are allowed to change our line up between State and Nationals, we as coaches plan our State team with our National conflicts in mind.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
FormerBuilder

Post by FormerBuilder »

So the kids who make it to States haven't necessarily earned the opportunity by winning at Regionals-same with Nationals? I know it is allowed. Seems very different from taking one group of 15 from Regionals to Nationals. I wonder if any of the teams at Nationals are really one team.
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

FormerBuilder wrote:So the kids who make it to States haven't necessarily earned the opportunity by winning at Regionals-same with Nationals? I know it is allowed. Seems very different from taking one group of 15 from Regionals to Nationals. I wonder if any of the teams at Nationals are really one team.
Our State and Nationals Team is always the same unless someone on the State team has a conflict with Nationals. We try to go into Regionals with 12-13 kids on our A team, which leaves room to move really out standing performers on the B team up to the State Team.

There are a few states that don't let schools move students between teams - NorCal comes to mind. Also, most home school teams don't have extra kids to switch in and out. There were 5 home school teams at Nationals this year.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.

Return to “2012 Nationals”