States sending two teams

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: States sending two teams

Postby chalker » March 11th, 2012, 6:58 am

I believe they are releasing a relevant list sometime around April 1st, though someone more knowledgeable than I should verify that.
If you scroll up in this thread just a little bit you'll see a link to the list from last year. The official decision for this year won't be until after April 1.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

foreverphysics
State: AL

Postby foreverphysics » March 11th, 2012, 10:23 am

Is there a preliminary list of states that may send two teams? It would be AWESOME to say that Auburn is sending three teams total to Nats.
If you guys got second how would you send three teams to nats?
Auburn has 2 Div B schools--Drake Middle School and Auburn Junior High School. We took first and second in Div B. Auburn High School competed in Div C and placed second. So if AL sends 2 teams from each division, Auburn will be sending 3 teams.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » March 12th, 2012, 7:10 pm

I believe they are releasing a relevant list sometime around April 1st, though someone more knowledgeable than I should verify that.
If you scroll up in this thread just a little bit you'll see a link to the list from last year. The official decision for this year won't be until after April 1.
Mr. Chalker, could you please clarify what "official decision" needs to be made? Isn't it as simple as taking the states with the highest registration numbers until the full complement of 60 teams for each division is reached?
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

chalker
State: OH

Postby chalker » March 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Mr. Chalker, could you please clarify what "official decision" needs to be made? Isn't it as simple as taking the states with the highest registration numbers until the full complement of 60 teams for each division is reached?
Yes, it is that 'simple'. What isn't simple is that the registration numbers aren't finalized yet. Keep in mind that while some states have already had their State tournaments, in other states the regional tournaments are just getting underway (for example in Ohio our state tournament isn't until late April).

Technically you can register right before a regional and still compete (although I doubt few teams actually do that). While most of you on this message board have been working on SO stuff for months, a significant percentage of teams don't seriously start until a few weeks before the tournament.

Thus the national office sets a deadline of April 1 for locking in the numbers. There might be a few additional registrations that filter in after that date, but in general most everybody has registered by then.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

JKrafsur
Division: C
State: CO

Postby JKrafsur » March 12th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Just for the heck of it, I did the math on the state memberships for this year (division B only) using regional tournament results, and Im pretty sure Indiana is going to be retaining that last spot since they went from 65 to 73 teams this year, and that is without one of their regional tournaments reporting results. Unfortunately, that leaves us here is colorado stuck with 66 teams, which means we and North Dakota will be the first ones out of a spot. Now lets just hope somebody forfeits a spot
2012-2013 Events:

Astronomy, Write It/Do It, Rocks and Minerals, Food Science?

tornado guy
State: WA

Postby tornado guy » March 12th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Just for the heck of it, I did the math on the state memberships for this year (division B only) using regional tournament results, and Im pretty sure Indiana is going to be retaining that last spot since they went from 65 to 73 teams this year, and that is without one of their regional tournaments reporting results. Unfortunately, that leaves us here is colorado stuck with 66 teams, which means we and North Dakota will be the first ones out of a spot. Now lets just hope somebody forfeits a spot
How does ND have 66 teams??
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

JKrafsur

Postby JKrafsur » March 12th, 2012, 9:35 pm

How does ND have 66 teams??
I don't know about this year, but unless their registration from last year went down (which almost never happens) then they do, they had more than us last year
2012-2013 Events:

haverstall
State: MN

Postby haverstall » March 12th, 2012, 9:50 pm

I'm curious, when Soinc counts teams, do they go by basis of teams registered in a state, or by the number of teams that compete in Regionals? The reason I'm asking this is that in Minnesota last year, the middle school team in my district registered, but didn't actually compete in Regionals (despite the fact that their name is on the tournament shirt :lol:). That would have increased the number of teams in Div B MN by 1, and while that didn't do anything for us, seeing how close these numbers are on registered teams per state, I'm wondering whether this could be slightly unfair.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

JKrafsur

Postby JKrafsur » March 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm

I'm curious, when Soinc counts teams, do they go by basis of teams registered in a state, or by the number of teams that compete in Regionals? The reason I'm asking this is that in Minnesota last year, the middle school team in my district registered, but didn't actually compete in Regionals (despite the fact that their name is on the tournament shirt :lol:). That would have increased the number of teams in Div B MN by 1, and while that didn't do anything for us, seeing how close these numbers are on registered teams per state, I'm wondering whether this could be slightly unfair.
We have the same issue, but it could really affect us. In fact, we had 7 teams or so in the state (B Div) register and not compete, so I really hope they count registered teams, not competing ones
2012-2013 Events:

r00ki316

Postby r00ki316 » March 13th, 2012, 3:04 am

I agree that's an issue. But a greater issue I see is how the number of teams are greatly inflated in MN as B & C only have 11 & 12 events at Regionals, allowing for many schools of the 46 to have multiple teams counting towards the overall 66 for C. I'm not blaming MN but isn't this something that can be better regulated nationally? It can at least perhaps be taken into account when rewarding states with 2nd teams. For comparison, I'm in a state where C has 50 schools and 63 teams this year but that could have easily been 70+ if Regionals had only half the # of events.

Return to “2012 Nationals”