Hotel or Dorms?

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Hotel or Dorms?

Post by rfscoach »

When you go to Nationals does your team stay in hotels or the dorms? What do you think are the pros and cons of each option? If your team goes to Nationals frequently, how early in the year to your coaches make hotel reservations....FYI: all the near by hotels are already full.

We have gone with hotels for our 1st three trips to Nationals (in 2010 we were in a different hotel every night.) This time we are trying the dorms.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hotel or Dorms?

Post by foreverphysics »

Usually when we go, we stay in the dorms, but this year, we are staying in a hotel--dunno why. Personally, I would prefer to stay at the dorms, if only because the chances of meeting other schools are increased, and, well, there are things about a dorm that a hotel can't replicate.
We make reservations as soon as we know that we won State. Which means mid-March or so.
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by tornado guy »

We've always stayed in a hotel. I think the main reason we go that route is because we're a homeschooled team and usually most/all of the family members of the students come along.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

When in a dorm, I thought it was nice because my team was more social... We spent some time in the student lounge, which was fun, and went to other peoples' rooms.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
nmsciencemom
State: NM

Post by nmsciencemom »

We have always stayed in nearby hotels, partly because as homeschoolers, we come as families. The hotels we stay at always have teams there we can talk to as well, like during breakfast. I would imagine the dorms are noisier.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

A Person wrote:When in a dorm, I thought it was nice because my team was more social... We spent some time in the student lounge, which was fun, and went to other peoples' rooms.
nmsciencemom wrote:We have always stayed in nearby hotels, partly because as homeschoolers, we come as families. The hotels we stay at always have teams there we can talk to as well, like during breakfast. I would imagine the dorms are noisier.
Yeah, last year the dorms were a very social atmosphere - moderately noisy, with everyone making feverish last-minute preparations at ungodly late hours. Really, though, that atmosphere is what made it so much fun. :)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Slarik
State: MD

Post by Slarik »

nmsciencemom wrote:We have always stayed in nearby hotels, partly because as homeschoolers, we come as families. The hotels we stay at always have teams there we can talk to as well, like during breakfast. I would imagine the dorms are noisier.
tornado guy wrote:We've always stayed in a hotel. I think the main reason we go that route is because we're a homeschooled team and usually most/all of the family members of the students come along.
I think we're going to go the hotel route, for the same reason.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

Slarik wrote:
tornado guy wrote:We've always stayed in a hotel. I think the main reason we go that route is because we're a homeschooled team and usually most/all of the family members of the students come along.
I think we're going to go the hotel route, for the same reason.
We've always stayed in hotels, because for the last three years we had cars* at nationals and therefore could get to and from the campus easily (we drove from Atlanta to Augusta and just drove to Urbana-Champaign and Madison). Hotels are nice because of the perks they bring - for example, we had a pool (and therefore a pool party :D ) in our hotel in Augusta; they might also be nicer than dorms? - and because (I think, at least) you get to bond with your team. Parents and siblings can come too, which is always fun. The unfortunate downside is that you don't meet many people outside your team. [Note: I don't know what the dorms are like, so they might be the same way.]

* - I highly recommend cars, especially if the campus is large - last year, at Madison, the parents with our team had a makeshift 'chauffeur service' for students who had longish commutes. It was incredibly convenient to step out of Chem Lab and be immediately whisked off to Fossils.
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Two years ago, in my sixth grade year, we stayed at dorms. We didn't like it that much, so last year, we stayed in a hotel. If we go this year, which will be tough, we will probably stay in a hotel.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
TGolemo94
State: NH

Post by TGolemo94 »

My team has stayed in dorms every year we've gone to nationals. It's nice when you're around other social team who like to talk, but some of the teams like to keep to themselves. Personally, I love the dorms, and on Saturday night last year, we held a Science Prom for our juniors who were missing prom at home. We invited anyone we saw but only one other team came (Indiana?) Even though we aren't missing prom this year, we're planning on having another dance at the dorm this year.
Merrimack Science Olympiad Head Coach

Return to “2012 Nationals”