Predictions

Slarik
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Predictions

Post by Slarik »

XJcwolfyX wrote:What do you guys think of these rankings so far?
http://scioly.org/predictions/index.php?err=0
I predict at least two homeschool teams will score in the top 10 of the B division.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

1. No double posting please.

2. You mean like ExCel Homeschoolers?
Medal Counter: 73
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

I believe there are four homeschool teams going to nats: Pilgrimage, ExCel, Albuquerque, Bismarck Mandan.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Slarik wrote:
I predict at least two homeschool teams will score in the top 10 of the B division.
havenguy wrote:I believe there are four homeschool teams going to nats: Pilgrimage, ExCel, Albuquerque, Bismarck Mandan.
None of those four homeschool groups except ExCEL have ever even finished in the top 25, so that is quite a bold prediction by Slarik. Slarik, which other homeschool team do you think might finish in the top 10? Is top 10 your team's goal?
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

havenguy wrote:I believe there are four homeschool teams going to nats: Pilgrimage, ExCel, Albuquerque, Bismarck Mandan.
five. Cedar Springs.
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

Luo wrote:
Slarik wrote:
None of those four homeschool groups except ExCEL have ever even finished in the top 25, so that is quite a bold prediction by Slarik.
ok. I see Solon has won multiple years in a row. That means to me that they have teams that put tremendous amounts of effort into SO. But, it also means that it isn't so stiff competition as to be left up "luck." Meaning, that anyone with an older (meaning max 8th/9th graders) team that has ALL its team members super dedicated ought to be able to do very well. With a homeschool team, while you still can't completely ignore the rest of your school, it seems you should be able to have more time, generally, to set aside for studying SO during the critical months when you know what events you are doing and u have the rules. Secondly, if kids are homeschooled, you'd think that *usually* means their parents are focused on education and will push their kids to continue working on SO. (I can't stress the USUALLY enough, that's a big generalization, and I don't know how much of a factor it is. Also, I am NOT suggesting that parents make their kids work, I AM saying that they will likely encourage kids to IF they would not by themselves.). But between those two points, it seems homeschoolers should have a slight advantage. (excepting the difficulty of finding 15 kids that are willing to do it. But since there are 5 teams, it seems like a few of them should be pretty serious in terms of age and study time, especially since they've already made it through their state comps). Am I missing something? Or do I make no sense lol.

Don't listen to me if you have been to nats before, bc you know better than I do what it is like. It scares me that a classmate in an online ap class wrote in his bio something along the lines of (he wrote this before the school year started, way before most of our team started studying) that his team had been working really hard to go to nats representing NC. They didn't make it. But he helped me out a bit, which could have been the difference given how barely we won. :)
Last edited by Slarik on May 7th, 2012, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

Haha, we (ExCEL) probably won't get a top 10 this year. We aren't as good as we used to be. That being said, I do think we have a possibility to do extremely well in a few events.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

tornado guy wrote:Haha, we (ExCEL) probably won't get a top 10 this year. We aren't as good as we used to be. That being said, I do think we have a possibility to do extremely well in a few events.
Out of curiousity, do you agree that if you have 15 (or very close to 15), older, dedicated (meaning both willing to study and not super busy with other stuff for at least 4-6 months before hand) kids that it should be possible to do well at nats?
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I don't think that that is necessarily true. For example, last year our team had two sixth graders, five seventh graders, and eight eighth graders (all who participate in several other activities such as club volleyball, soccer, other sports, student council, etc.) on our varsity team and we came in second at Nationals. Some teams use a lot of ninth graders and they don't even get top ten. It just depends on how hard your teammates work.
Medal Counter: 73
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

XJcwolfyX wrote:I don't think that that is necessarily true. For example, last year our team had two sixth graders, five seventh graders, and eight eighth graders (all who participate in several other activities such as club volleyball, soccer, other sports, student council, etc.) on our varsity team and we came in second at Nationals. Some teams use a lot of ninth graders and they don't even get top ten. It just depends on how hard your teammates work.
Hmm. So how much time do you think it should take to place in the top ten, assuming you have... 3 or 4 events? In other words, when do you start actually studying for real on your events and how many hours a day do you do in order to place top 3?

And if there are any C div people reading this, how does it differ for the C div?

Return to “2012 Nationals”