Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Predictions

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

Slarik wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:I don't think that that is necessarily true. For example, last year our team had two sixth graders, five seventh graders, and eight eighth graders (all who participate in several other activities such as club volleyball, soccer, other sports, student council, etc.) on our varsity team and we came in second at Nationals. Some teams use a lot of ninth graders and they don't even get top ten. It just depends on how hard your teammates work.
Hmm. So how much time do you think it should take to place in the top ten, assuming you have... 3 or 4 events? In other words, when do you start actually studying for real on your events and how many hours a day do you do in order to place top 3?

And if there are any C div people reading this, how does it differ for the C div?
In past years, to get 1st in Div. B, you consistently need to break ~250 pts to get first. That being said, top 10 is pretty volatile in terms of pure scoring. Some years, breaking 450 pts is enough to land in the top 10 (2010). Other years, you may need to break 400 to do the same (2009). In terms of time, that's really depends on the event. Some teams work really hard during the invitational season and just keep adding pieces at states and nationals, while other teams put in all their chips at states, and then build from there. To place top 3 in an event takes both skill and a little luck.

On the other hand, in Div. C, breaking ~200 pts is generally the score you need to get first, since 2009 at least. Before then, getting low ~250s generally was good enough. Similar to Div. B, you have to break ~400 pts to make it into the top 10. Unlike Div. B, however, the top teams in SO usually stay more consistent.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
Slarik
Division: C
State: MD

Post by Slarik »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
Slarik wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:I don't think that that is necessarily true. For example, last year our team had two sixth graders, five seventh graders, and eight eighth graders (all who participate in several other activities such as club volleyball, soccer, other sports, student council, etc.) on our varsity team and we came in second at Nationals. Some teams use a lot of ninth graders and they don't even get top ten. It just depends on how hard your teammates work.
Hmm. So how much time do you think it should take to place in the top ten, assuming you have... 3 or 4 events? In other words, when do you start actually studying for real on your events and how many hours a day do you do in order to place top 3?

And if there are any C div people reading this, how does it differ for the C div?
In past years, to get 1st in Div. B, you consistently need to break ~250 pts to get first. That being said, top 10 is pretty volatile in terms of pure scoring. Some years, breaking 450 pts is enough to land in the top 10 (2010). Other years, you may need to break 400 to do the same (2009). In terms of time, that's really depends on the event. Some teams work really hard during the invitational season and just keep adding pieces at states and nationals, while other teams put in all their chips at states, and then build from there. To place top 3 in an event takes both skill and a little luck.

On the other hand, in Div. C, breaking ~200 pts is generally the score you need to get first, since 2009 at least. Before then, getting low ~250s generally was good enough. Similar to Div. B, you have to break ~400 pts to make it into the top 10. Unlike Div. B, however, the top teams in SO usually stay more consistent.
Thank you!
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
SirBobo
Division: B
State: CA

Post by SirBobo »

I'm predict that Churchill will take a place in the top 6. :D
I am SirBobo and I approve this message

"Insert meaningful quote here"

Image Image
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

SirBobo wrote:I'm predict that Churchill will take a place in the top 6. :D
That's probably a safe prediction..
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

I'll predict that tornado will place in the top 61 ish
Fossil Freak 25

Post by Fossil Freak 25 »

Littleboy wrote:I'll predict that tornado will place in the top 61 ish
Yes, I agree
Go Cougs!
Swag
State: ME

Post by Swag »

Waterville Wins. Ultimate and the real tourny. Be scared.
"I will either find a way, or make one." - Hannibal Barca
tornado guy

Post by tornado guy »

Fossil Freak 25 wrote:
Littleboy wrote:I'll predict that tornado will place in the top 61 ish
Yes, I agree
Yes... That is also probably a safe prediction...
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
BYHscioly
State: NJ

Post by BYHscioly »

Hopefully, WW-P will do well this year. We did better at states than last year (74) but we haven't studied at all since states, which was two months ago... A few days of cramming might save us.

Anyways, predicting that Solon and Centerville will do really well. Though I kinda do want a non-Ohio team to win.
1st Fermi (2013), 2nd Astro (2014), 3rd DP (2014), 4th DP (2012)
XXGeneration
State: NJ

Post by XXGeneration »

BYHscioly wrote:Hopefully, WW-P will do well this year. We did better at states than last year (74) but we haven't studied at all since states, which was two months ago... A few days of cramming might save us.

Anyways, predicting that Solon and Centerville will do really well. Though I kinda do want a non-Ohio team to win.
Not really sure of the situation in Solon and Centerville, but I can personally testify that WW-P South has an extremely high potential, as this year at invitationals our freshmen (b-team) beat the upperclassmen (a-team) a surprisingly large amount of times (perhaps 1/3-1/2 of the study events). Even though we may not win this year, watch out for us next year and the next two years after that!

Return to “2012 Nationals”