Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly.org Meet-Up at Nationals

Post by Dark Sabre »

If I make it over to the swap meet, there will be a handful or two of free t-shirts, like appeared last year.
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

I need to find that shirt. Got one last year, and have to admit, it looked pretty good.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
jcreeps27
Division: C
State: PA

Post by jcreeps27 »

what t-shirts?
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

jcreeps27 wrote:what t-shirts?
I got one last year at the swap meet; they look like this:

Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
3slh9
Coach
Coach
State: KS

Post by 3slh9 »

Having never been to nationals before but am really good at organizing, would it be better to pick a certain school and have their table be the meet up place since I am assuming those will be in some sort of logical order? I would need to talk to Z about what he wants to do, but if it is easier, you guys could meet up at our table and then move someplace.
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

3slh9 wrote:Having never been to nationals before but am really good at organizing, would it be better to pick a certain school and have their table be the meet up place since I am assuming those will be in some sort of logical order? I would need to talk to Z about what he wants to do, but if it is easier, you guys could meet up at our table and then move someplace.

I think Luo originally was brainstorming in his head that the MV table could be scioly central, but as long as we meet in the end that's the point right? Although, I must say I really want to meet at least you and Z.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
3slh9
Coach
Coach

Post by 3slh9 »

I will probably be stuck at our table until time to go to the coach's meeting at 9:30 but will go where ever. Too bad we don't know the set-up to pick the best place. Not sure if Z wants me tagging along. :D
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

3slh9 wrote:Having never been to nationals before but am really good at organizing, would it be better to pick a certain school and have their table be the meet up place since I am assuming those will be in some sort of logical order? I would need to talk to Z about what he wants to do, but if it is easier, you guys could meet up at our table and then move someplace.
Unfortunately we don't know in advance where each team's swap meet table will be, so that makes it hard to make advance plans to meet at a specific table. Last year, the beginning of the swap meet was a chaotic free-for-all to obtain table space. We planned to have all the scioly.org people meet at the Minnesota table, but nobody knew in advance where the table was, so that made the intended meet-up very ineffective.
3slh9 wrote:I will probably be stuck at our table until time to go to the coach's meeting at 9:30 but will go where ever. Too bad we don't know the set-up to pick the best place. Not sure if Z wants me tagging along. :D
If I'm not mistaken, the swap meet and coaches' meeting are simultaneous - the swap meet is a fun way to keep the students occupied during the coaches' meeting. :P
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
3slh9
Coach
Coach

Post by 3slh9 »

Not this year. The coach's meeting is during the Italian ice social so after the swap meet. I think they do that for supervision purposes.

And if they expect every team to swap stuff, then they know exactly how many teams will be there, so assign tables. How hard is that?
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

3slh9 wrote:And if they expect every team to swap stuff, then they know exactly how many teams will be there, so assign tables. How hard is that?
I agree - last year was way too chaotic and I hope they assign tables this year.

Return to “2012 Nationals”