Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Scioly.org Meet-Up at Nationals

Post by Luo »

[quote="Paradox21, in the 2012 National Tournament: University of Central Florida thread,"][quote="havenguy"]Sorry if someone has already asked this, but will there be a scioly.org table at the swap meet? Also, is anyone organizing an ultimate frisbee tournament like 2010?[/quote]
Seeing that Eastview HS won't be around this year to take charge of these things, I suppose I can give some insight on how we did these things in the past.

The scioly table should be easy. All you have to do is make a really big sign that says scioly.org on it and put it up near your table. Also, remember tape! That way you can hoist it nice and high (preferably painter's tape, rather than duct tape to avoid leaving nasty residue on other people's buildings). Someone should stick around the table to actually greet other scioly people; don't just leave the sign there in hopes that two random scioly people will bump into each other at the sign. [/quote]

The fundamental problem with a scioly.org table (as we discovered last year) is that it's much more fun to walk around at the swap meet than to stay in one place in the hopes of meeting someone. In the crowded chaos of the swap meet, it was very difficult for people to find the scioly.org table, since there was no absolute predetermined location of the table (and anyway, it's impossible to set a predetermined location since nobody knows in advance exactly where they will end up setting up). At the times when a scioly.org person did manage to find the table, it was unlikely that other scioly person(s) were there at the same time, and thus nobody really stuck around. This is understandable, since it's easy to get caught up in all the excitement and not want to stay in one place for the whole time. Therefore, I think that the most effective way for us to meet each other would be to set a fixed location and fixed time to meet everyone else. This location must be easy-to-find, and the time must be convenient for all. May I suggest that all persons wishing to meet other persons from scioly.org meet at 9:15 p.m. on 5/18 right inside the main entrance of UCF Arena. Sound okay to everyone?
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Re: Scioly.org Meet-Up at Nationals

Post by AlphaTauri »

AlphaTauri, devil's advocate wrote:I'd just like to say that even if you set a fixed time and location for the scioly.org meet-up and promote the heck out of it...people don't really show up, as EAST and myself (and 49ers and butter side up) awkwardly found out at States.

Of course, it may be different for you guys, considering that it's Nationals and all, but don't expect anything. :roll:
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

AlphaTauri wrote:
AlphaTauri, devil's advocate wrote:I'd just like to say that even if you set a fixed time and location for the scioly.org meet-up and promote the heck out of it...people don't really show up, as EAST and myself (and 49ers and butter side up) awkwardly found out at States.

Of course, it may be different for you guys, considering that it's Nationals and all, but don't expect anything. :roll:
Yeah, I saw your post in the Pennsylvania thread. :P But I think (and hope) this will be more effective at nationals because of the sheer number of scioly.org people that will be there. Last year's table was quite ineffective at facilitating meet-ups, and I'm confident that this plan will be an improvement.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA
Been thanked: 0

Post by tornado guy »

I think that there should at least be a scioly banner/sign up in the air, considering most of us don't know what the others look like :P

And I agree with Luo, there should be a lot more people who show up since this is nationals. The arena is also fairly small, so that should help.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

tornado guy wrote:I think that there should at least be a scioly banner/sign up in the air, considering most of us don't know what the others look like :P
Sure! I think it would be best if someone actually held the banner up high -- it would eliminate the problem of hanging up the banner, and also perhaps increase visibility.
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

AlphaTauri wrote:

Last year, I don't think anyone on our team found the scioly.org table. This idea sounds a lot more effective, and I will be there.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Can we maybe meet up at 9 instead because some of us have teams that like to leave early?
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
tornado guy
Division: C
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

foreverphysics wrote:Can we maybe meet up at 9 instead because some of us have teams that like to leave early?
Maybe we could just head up to the spot whenever the opening ceremonies end.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

tornado guy wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:Can we maybe meet up at 9 instead because some of us have teams that like to leave early?
Maybe we could just head up to the spot whenever the opening ceremonies end.
I think it would be better to set a definite time than just saying "whenever the opening ceremonies end," especially since the end of the opening ceremonies is the most chaotic time of the evening. Plus, it'd be preferable to have some time to walk around/swap/mingle before the meet-up. Having said that, I think 9 would work fine - the schedule says the swap meet ends around 9:30, then presumably they'll herd us outside to eat ice cream.
haverstall

Post by haverstall »

Do we necessarily need to meet at the swap meet? I'm not trying to discourage it, but we could also meet after the awards ceremony as well. We'll all be in a central location, and if I remember correctly from last year, there is also less chaos. But we should definitely meet up.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Return to “2012 Nationals”