National Results Discussion

computergeek3
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: National Results Discussion

Post by computergeek3 »

Overall, I was impressed that my team managed to get top 20 and that most of our events were top 30 considering that it was our first nationals appearance
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
Lily Essence
Division: C
State: TX

Post by Lily Essence »

I just want to mention that I've talked to the Japanese team members several times at the parade of states, swap meet, competition grounds, after the closing ceremony, and during the afterglow dance. Not to put anyone down, but their English isn't the best that I've seen from a Japanese student that has studied since seventh grade. (I am friends with a Japanese foreign exchange student at my school, but perhaps she is just exceptionally good at languages...) Perhaps their reading, writing, and comprehension are better than listening and speaking, but all in all, they are really just like normal second language students here in America. Imagine learning an Asianic language in a conversational manner for several years and then being asked to take a high school biology test with specific vocabulary and terms. Wow, kudos to them for keeping at it. I think that culture shock may have gotten to them a little but I honestly don't think that the introduction of their team will break Solon's winning streak.

They were still pretty awesome people. Awkward and difficult to communicate with, but in the end, pretty friendly. :)

(Also, if any member of that team is reading this, I'm the brown-haired girl in the suit! Study English and come to America again!)
Silent and Listen are spelled with the same letters
Seven Lakes SLHS Science Olympiad
Retiring my competition career! Off to scold the newbies as a manager!
Gearbox
State: PA

Post by Gearbox »

It was not a surprise to me that Solon won B and C again. I go to a lot of Ohio invitationals and they always do amazing.
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

Hm.

We medaled once, AMAZINGLY, in Awesome Aquifers. 2nd! Wowee! Again, though, a little disappointing that my friends missed the scholarship. Amazing, again, that we placed at all!

We got 38th overall. I got 12th in Widi and Food Sci, and 43rd(not surprisingly,) in Miss Poss.

Congrats to ExCEL Homeschool for 11th place! lol the girl on your team with glasses and a high ponytail, she wore a green flower at the closing ceremony, she was like stalking me all day on Sunday (or was I stalking her?) but literally we were everywhere at the Kennedy Space Center at the same time! And we left at the same time too! :shock:

lol we cheered for all the homeschool teams, and the maryland high school. Maryland medaled thrice overall, twice to centennial. yayz, congrats! (lol that person who didn't want to be picture taken medaled in chemistry.)

Just so you know, I'm being vague here so only certain people will understand me.

man that's awesome that homeschool swept two of the 6 top miss poss spots---congrats to Albuquerque and ExCEL on that one! The best we were hoping for was for the machine to work...we only had 5 intermediary tasks and there were two major fail points, of which one failed and we had a different, unexpected fail points, ending up with a total of only 54s and 2 touches, and the total claimed on our TSL was like, only 500 points. Hearing that some people got >1000 at states, I knew we weren't in luck for that one.

WIDI--B division (idk if the C had the same model) How did I get 12th? Did yall not finish either? I literally got only 1/3 the pieces, but the big pieces. No offense, but I glanced at b35 and it looked like the doer had used all teh pieces, however they came in after us, at 15th. That was something i didn't understand--sure it was challenging and I used half the pieces, but pparently the person was so inaccurate i beat them with my half the pieces. I thought I'd get maybe 40th. hehe, I beat solon on that one. They got about 30th.

Food Science-I was so happy about that one! I knew everything but like 5 questions, but I thought everyone would do just as well as we did, so I thought we'd land aruond a 30th. but we made 12th! Whoohoo!

Wow, tornado guy. Are you serious the lowest you guys got was 12th? wow.

lol a very ranty post.

Okay Food Science, here I come! Food Science toughie returning next year, 12th place holder at Nationals. If we make it again (too hard to predict), expect me there!

:D
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Hm.

We medaled once, AMAZINGLY, in Awesome Aquifers. 2nd! Wowee! Again, though, a little disappointing that my friends missed the scholarship. Amazing, again, that we placed at all!

We got 38th overall. I got 12th in Widi and Food Sci, and 43rd(not surprisingly,) in Miss Poss.

Congrats to ExCEL Homeschool for 11th place! lol the girl on your team with glasses and a high ponytail, she wore a green flower at the closing ceremony, she was like stalking me all day on Sunday (or was I stalking her?) but literally we were everywhere at the Kennedy Space Center at the same time! And we left at the same time too! :shock:

lol we cheered for all the homeschool teams, and the maryland high school. Maryland medaled thrice overall, twice to centennial. yayz, congrats! (lol that person who didn't want to be picture taken medaled in chemistry.)

Just so you know, I'm being vague here so only certain people will understand me.

man that's awesome that homeschool swept two of the 6 top miss poss spots---congrats to Albuquerque and ExCEL on that one! The best we were hoping for was for the machine to work...we only had 5 intermediary tasks and there were two major fail points, of which one failed and we had a different, unexpected fail points, ending up with a total of only 54s and 2 touches, and the total claimed on our TSL was like, only 500 points. Hearing that some people got >1000 at states, I knew we weren't in luck for that one.

WIDI--B division (idk if the C had the same model) How did I get 12th? Did yall not finish either? I literally got only 1/3 the pieces, but the big pieces. No offense, but I glanced at b35 and it looked like the doer had used all teh pieces, however they came in after us, at 15th. That was something i didn't understand--sure it was challenging and I used half the pieces, but pparently the person was so inaccurate i beat them with my half the pieces. I thought I'd get maybe 40th. hehe, I beat solon on that one. They got about 30th.

Food Science-I was so happy about that one! I knew everything but like 5 questions, but I thought everyone would do just as well as we did, so I thought we'd land aruond a 30th. but we made 12th! Whoohoo!

lol a very ranty post.

Okay Food Science, here I come! Food Science toughie returning next year, 12th place holder at Nationals. If we make it again (too hard to predict), expect me there!

Good job, your team did about the same as my team did. Mission Possible was quite impossible.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

lol yes. I agree that Mission Possible was a little impossible. It came up a lot as a joke.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Just my quick analysis.
Just to make clear, I was not at nationals, but watching live stream; my team cut number of alternates brought to nationals to 1.

Biggest (good) surprises for my school:
Helicopter: Literally, the first thing I heard about it was when I was logging on to chat, and Quizbowl asked me about our insane chinook. I didn't know it existed, let alone got 1st. At states, we got 12th.

Anatomy: They won last year, but had troubles at states and didn't medal there. Fortunately, they got 3rd at nats.

Water Quality: This was our lowest event at states, and moreover, one of the people doing it quit afterwards, leaving the spot open for someone else to learn all of it in 3 weeks. Somehow, we got 4th.

Biggest letdowns:
Rocks: I thought this was one of the one's we'd do really strong in, and was extremely surprised we got 15th.
Sounds: I heard we messed up one of the theory questions.
Thermo: I honestly don't know what happened, since I thought we had a really strong pair at states.

Nice job to Solon and Solon, and to all the individual event winners.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

silverheart7 wrote:Thoughts on the national results? I think everyone did a great job :D
I was not suprised when Solon won in both B and C divisions, and very suprised PJG and WM didn't place top ten.
Gelinas was a surprise, but I don't think Ward Melville has ever been top ten. We tend to treat Nats like a reward for working really hard and doing well at States, rather than a full competition in its own right.

We did get our three National firsts, though, if you count MagLev – plus various other medals. The issue was that essentially every event we didn't medal in – besides my two sevenths and a couple other top tens – was in the 30s or 40s. So yeah, nowhere near top ten overall (well, we were like 70 points from 10th... so not "nowhere near", but not exactly close).
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:Hm.

lol a very ranty post.

Lol, I didn't even realize you guys were at the Space Center :P How'd you know that was our team anyhow?? We weren't even wearing our team shirts!
Yes, for building events our lowest was a 12th.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
HiHiimDarthvader

Post by HiHiimDarthvader »

it was my first time at nationals and my time placed in the top 30

Return to “2012 Nationals”