National Results Discussion

RBears6
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: National Results Discussion

Post by RBears6 »

Luo wrote:By the way, where did you hear that the Japanese team will in fact compete for points next year? I don't recall this ever being said at either of the nationals ceremonies.
I am really sure that they didn't say that cause then there would be a lots more hype about the Japanese teams for next year. I think it's really cool tha they can compete and I'm also really curious to see what they can get.
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
Ray Li
State: AR

Post by Ray Li »

Our team happened to stay at the same hotel as the Japanese team. :D
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

For my team I was really surprised at how well we did. I knew we were going to be better this year with all our experience, but I wasn't thinking 11th (so close to 10th.. stupid wq is going to haunt me forever). I was also shocked with how well our building events did, with the worst placing as a 12th.

I honestly was surprised Churchill only got a 4th. When I heard them racking up the medals I thought they had a legit shot to win the whole tournament.

I also give major credit to the people who ran the tourney/events. I do not have one complaint at all with how any part of it went.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Ray Li wrote:Japan will be sending a team (the national champions in their country) again to the next national Science Olympiad, but this time they will be competing. I'm thinking that they will break Solon High School's three year winning streak at nationals next year.
Please don't spread rumors that you have no factual evidence for. I can assure you that as of right now there are no definitely plans for next year. I can also assure you that had we actually ranked the Japanese Ambassador team this year in the ranks they competed in, they wouldn't have come even close to 'breaking Solon HS's winning streak'.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Ray Li
State: AR

Post by Ray Li »

We talked with the team and they said that they are planning on sending a team next year. Where are the rankings for Japan's team? I never saw them on the official list.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
chalker

Post by chalker »

Ray Li wrote:We talked with the team and they said that they are planning on sending a team next year. Where are the rankings for Japan's team? I never saw them on the official list.
You didn't see them because we didn't post them. But since I ran scoring I have them. Yes, there is talk of sending a Japanese team again next year, but as I said, no decisions have been made regarding whether they'll actually be ranked versus the rest of the teams. Also please keep in mind that they had to use a translator in some of the events they competed in, which is an inherent disadvantage that will make it very difficult for them to 'break any winning streaks'.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

haverstall wrote:(I'm going on a posting spree right now)

I was sorely disappointed by my results, as well as our teams. It was just so depressing to be shooting so high, and then crash and burn. :P

But as for the results, I was so sure that Marie Murphy was going to win B, and then after looking at results, found out they lost by 62 to Solon in the end.

Will be interested how "home-field advantage" will affect teams next year.
I'm sorry, we're trying to win but it is extremely hard. Especially when we have no Freshmen and they have five, and we use sixth and seventh graders . . .
Medal Counter: 73
labchick
Division: B
State: TN

Post by labchick »

Considering that my team has never won Regionals, and TN State was our first tournament win, I'd say I'm pretty impressed with our 21st at Nats.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
haverstall wrote:(I'm going on a posting spree right now)

I was sorely disappointed by my results, as well as our teams. It was just so depressing to be shooting so high, and then crash and burn. :P

But as for the results, I was so sure that Marie Murphy was going to win B, and then after looking at results, found out they lost by 62 to Solon in the end.

Will be interested how "home-field advantage" will affect teams next year.
I'm sorry, we're trying to win but it is extremely hard. Especially when we have no Freshmen and they have five, and we use sixth and seventh graders . . .
Solon Middle School uses 6th and 7th graders too. In fact, they have three 7th graders on their team.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I know, but their freshmen help them.
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2012 Nationals”