2013 Nationals Opening Ceremony Keynote Speaker

pjgscioisamazing
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Nationals Opening Ceremony Keynote Speaker

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be amazing... although you shouldn't do it cause that would mean I missed seeing Neil DeGrasse Tyson speak by one year :evil:
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:Neil DeGrasse Tyson would be amazing... although you shouldn't do it cause that would mean I missed seeing Neil DeGrasse Tyson speak by one year :evil:
Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaking at Nationals would indeed be amazing but I have the same sentiments - missing seeing him speak would be sad :(
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
mintyfrash
Division: C
State: FL

Post by mintyfrash »

I love Neil Degrasse Tyson but it costs around 40,000 dollars, plus first class airplane tickets to get him.
MustangSciOly11
Division: B
State: CA

Post by MustangSciOly11 »

Bill Nye will be amazing!

What about John Glenn??? It will be cool to have this famous astronaut turned Senator from OHIO!
sz0510
State: OH

Post by sz0510 »

Ben Carson remains the best keynote speaker I've heard yet (2008 George Washington University) and the message he gave was profound and inspiring (THINK BIG). It would be amazing if you guys could get him again.
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

sz0510 wrote:Ben Carson remains the best keynote speaker I've heard yet (2008 George Washington University) and the message he gave was profound and inspiring (THINK BIG). It would be amazing if you guys could get him again.
This is an amazing idea. Ben Carson is definitely the best keynote speaker I've heard in my 6 nationals. While the science demonstrations have been fun, his message and method of speaking were amazing. Although if they are to repeat, I would wait until at least 2014/2015 so that anyone who was in 6th/7th grade back in 2008 don't see him again, and he can be saved for a whole new audience
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Obviously Neil Tyson would be awesome. His going rate would be $50k-$70k, but you may be able to get him to do it for free given the cause. Bill costs a bit more at the going rate, but again, might be able to get him to do it free too.
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: WA

Post by Aia »

sz0510 wrote:Ben Carson remains the best keynote speaker I've heard yet (2008 George Washington University) and the message he gave was profound and inspiring (THINK BIG). It would be amazing if you guys could get him again.
I was at Nationals in 2008, and that was one of the best speeches I've ever heard in my life. I'm not sure if you need to wait longer before considering a "repeat" speaker, but it would be so cool if he could speak again!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
Allinea
State: MN

Post by Allinea »

Tyson would be awesome. If that goes through, I just hope I actually have a team next year to go to hopefully go to nationals with.
2013-2014 Season: [Boyceville/Conference/River Falls/Regions/State]
WIDI[2/-/6/2/x]
Rocks[5/1/3/-/x]
Glider[13/8/x/-/x]
Rollercoaster[3/-/12/2/x]
Sustainability[12/-/7/-/-]
Exp. Design[-/3/-/-/-]
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

Tyson would be amazing and given his attitude and values I would think he would really like to do it, perhaps for free. I'm also for Michio Kaku and Nye. When you say that the Mythbusters can't do it, is that just Jamie and Adam? Becuase I think Grant Imahara could be good as well
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

Return to “2012 Nationals”