2013 Nationals Opening Ceremony Keynote Speaker

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 Nationals Opening Ceremony Keynote Speaker

Post by havenguy »

I think that Salman Khan would be great. I'm sure most of us have watched at least one of his videos, and he does some science stuff too, like Astronomy and Genetics. Also, he looks like a pretty good speaker: http://vimeo.com/11731351
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

harryk wrote: When you say that the Mythbusters can't do it, is that just Jamie and Adam? Becuase I think Grant Imahara could be good as well
None of them can do it.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
allthatglitters
State: NY

Post by allthatglitters »

I don't have a specific person in mind but some opinions about what does and does not seem to work. Ben Carson is inspirational because of his work, his success and his story. The best speakers are those who have done inspiring things, who have changed their world/profession in a meaningful way and who have great backstories. Less successful for this group are people who have become famous primary for pitching science to kids (The Science Guys or We love Science or Science is Magic) or even translating complex principles to simpler but entertaining ones (as in Myth Busters). This year's speaker was excellent but she is very unusual. She had a great subject matter and obviously is skilled at talking about her science to the lay public. But, generally speaking, I think the audience is beyond the science can be entertaining pitch that you may get with people like The Science Guy. This is a sophisticated science audience and speakers who talk about encouraging kids to enter STEM are misplaced. Better would be someone taking chances in science or forging new territory or looking at intriguing important questions or developing new technology but who can also talk to people (good speaker).
RBears6
Division: C
State: TX

Post by RBears6 »

havenguy wrote:I think that Salman Khan would be great. I'm sure most of us have watched at least one of his videos, and he does some science stuff too, like Astronomy and Genetics. Also, he looks like a pretty good speaker: http://vimeo.com/11731351
Thats a really good idea. He is really good in explaining topics of math and science. I was also thinking Brian Cox, he is an astronomer and does some really good research in quantum physics.
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
number_cruncher
State: MO

Post by number_cruncher »

In 2010, Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) was the keynote speaker at the National Boy Scout Jamboree. I believe it's out on Youtube. Talk about inspirational without being dry....amazing speaker!!!
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

How about Gerald Wayne Clough? Director of the Smithsonian and president of Georgia Tech.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
TibiRidio
Division: B
State: PA

Post by TibiRidio »

How About Peter Higgs? :D
^ibi "eo"
RESULTS:
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

sz0510 wrote:Ben Carson remains the best keynote speaker I've heard yet (2008 George Washington University) and the message he gave was profound and inspiring (THINK BIG). It would be amazing if you guys could get him again.
Ben Carson? the head-surgeon guy? That's awesome! Definitely, I would love to hear him speak.
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 »

havenguy wrote:I think that Salman Khan would be great. I'm sure most of us have watched at least one of his videos, and he does some science stuff too, like Astronomy and Genetics. Also, he looks like a pretty good speaker: http://vimeo.com/11731351
Salman Khan would be cool too...i love Khan Academy!
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

knittingfrenzy18 wrote:
Salman Khan would be cool too...i love Khan Academy!
Agreed, he's a great teacher and speaker.

Return to “2012 Nationals”