Chem Lab C

mintyfrash
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by mintyfrash »

I'm iffy on equilibrium, on the one hand I feel like yes, it is a huge amount of information covered within the topic, on the other hand, I feel like there are fewer "random" questions which could be asked about equilibrium. Like for electrochem we had "fuel cells and common storage batteries" as a supplementary subject for states/nationals, and I mean there's so much which could be asked about that. Didn't show up on the test for nationals at all though...
buzzbuzz
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

Does anybody know of any good equilibrium labs that are manageable with the limited amount of time? The ones I know of wouldn't be very practical.
liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 »

So I'm not completely clear on what exactly ''equilibrium" will cover. I understand that equilibrium is when a system is essentially balanced, but in which contexts is this referring to?

I see that you say there can be a wide variety of things covered, could you give a couple more examples?
2000lby
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by 2000lby »

Acid-base (weak acids/bases), solubility, vapor pressure...probably not thermo?

Maybe an equilibrium lab using FeSCN2+ or some solubility lab? I can't think of any practical non-aqueous equilibrium labs off of the top of my head...except maybe NO2 <=> N2O4
SciOly alum 2010-2013

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
-Charles Darwin
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

Would doing a simply titration with, for example, NaOH and acetic acid, be an option? Then you have a form of acid/ base equilibrium. Then one could do molar calcualtions, etc.
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 »

In this competition, do they give you labs to do at the competition or do you do them before hand?

I'm guessing that doing lots of labs before hand helps anyways.
Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat »

liutony66 wrote:In this competition, do they give you labs to do at the competition or do you do them before hand?

I'm guessing that doing lots of labs before hand helps anyways.
Everything is done at the competition.
Yes, practicing labs is quite helpful, but a lot of the time you'll unfortunately end up with just a written test anyway.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “2012 Lab Events”