Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

DivineBbbbbeast
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by DivineBbbbbeast »

questionguy wrote:I recently visted the Test Exchange and noticed that tests from the Athens Invitational were posted in most events, except for Thermodynamics. Does anyone have a copy of the test that they can post?
Ummm... If i recall correctly, the first few pages of the St Joe's test already online was the same as the Athens test, but the athens test also had a little bit of thermochemistry involved with it
Solon High School Class of 2014
Vanderbilt University Class of 2018

2012 Nats: 1st Thermodynamics, 7th Fermi Questions, 28th LoLptics
2013 Nats: 2nd Thermodynamics, 8th Remote Sensing, 9th Fermi Questions
2014 Moral Support :P
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

DivineBbbbbeast wrote:
questionguy wrote:I recently visted the Test Exchange and noticed that tests from the Athens Invitational were posted in most events, except for Thermodynamics. Does anyone have a copy of the test that they can post?
Ummm... If i recall correctly, the first few pages of the St Joe's test already online was the same as the Athens test, but the athens test also had a little bit of thermochemistry involved with it
Thanks. Does anyone know how to solve this question.

- Twenty five identical molecules are in a box. Identifying the molecules in the left and right halves of the box designates microstates. The Boltzmann constant is 1.38 x 10^-23. The entropy associated with the configuration for which 15 molecules are in the left half and 10 molecules are in the right half is:

Answer: 2.07 x 10^-22 J/K
marty3
Division: Grad

Post by marty3 »

Hmmm, that's a pretty complicated problem for high school, I think. Anyway, here it goes.

If you want the entropy of a system, go back to the most basic definition:

S = k*ln(omega)

k = boltzmann's constant
omega = number of possible states

The particles are taken to be identical, simplifying omega to nothing more than the combinatorics problem 25 choose 15, or 25!/(15!*10!).

S = 1.38*10^-23 * ln(25!/(15!*10!)) = 2.07*10^-22 J/K

This answer only works because the box is split into 2 equal parts. Otherwise it gets more interesting, I think.
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

Is there anyone other than me that does not like the system in which they measure the heat of the internal beaker after the test?
My water temperature was measured 5 minutes late. One team's was measured 8 min late.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Unfortunately, unless the supervisor has probes set up to automatically record the temperatures, I don't know how else it could be done. Seems several IL competitions have had this event run questionably...at one invitational, the supervisor forgot to record the final temperature for two teams and was going to make it up by averaging the other teams'. I kid you not. They didn't get away with that for long.
On the other hand, this is a relatively difficult event to run, so kudos to anyone who has done so smoothly and successfully.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Actually, we don't have an issue with measuring times late in AL. It seems that we do it, we get the test, and they measure the temperature after exactly the time frame, whether we're still taking the test or not. It works well, and we still finish the test--one team memeber keeps working, and the other does the temperature stuff.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciencegeek999 »

At my invite, and regionals, there was no problem. Only at state, which I find ironic because isn't state supposed to be very accurate and organized?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

Concerning the "identical beakers" rule, one of our beakers has some salt stains on the outside surface that I can't wash off no matter how hard I try. It's not significant, but enough to be noticed when examining the beaker. Will this cause too much trouble at competition or be okay? (I know it all depends on the event supervisor)
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

illusionist wrote:Concerning the "identical beakers" rule, one of our beakers has some salt stains on the outside surface that I can't wash off no matter how hard I try. It's not significant, but enough to be noticed when examining the beaker. Will this cause too much trouble at competition or be okay? (I know it all depends on the event supervisor)

Have you tried some CLR or LimeAway or similar type stuff? Should get it right off.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Wowohn
Division: B
State: PA

Post by Wowohn »

I did keep the heat at our State Competition for Pennsylvania. It was a complete mess. They had us do this experiment we combined hot and cold water and observed it? The Everybody's water went all over and became very messy. Then when they went to heat our water they heated the beakers on the hot plate also. When we finally did get the water it was 85 degrees when other peoples was 90 and we didnt get let out till 10 minutes late so I was late for y next event. }If this sounds complainy I'm sorry but I think we really need something more standardized nest year.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”