Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by haverstall »

smartkid222 wrote:Yes, that is one of my questions. Do most competitions have the water transfered from a large hot beaker to the cool 250ml beaker, or is the 250ml beaker already heated?
Also, if you are heating in the water in the 250ml beaker, have you considered evaporation? Some of the water will evaporate by the time it reaches the desired temperature, especially if you are going to 90oC. How do you account for this?
We were lucky in that during the state competition, all the teams had separate Vernier probes, so we took the temp of the water when our time started. Funny thing is that even though they said the water was to be 70 C, it was actually 62.5 C when we measured it. Still to be safe, I would suggest you bring a thermometer yourself, like forever suggested. We did the same, but because of this awesome set up, we didn't have to worry about it.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni
Paleofreakazoid
State: CA

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

I'm really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering at your state competitions, did they have pre-measured increments of water to pour? Our beaker only measures 25 mL increments, so I was wondering how they would do that at other competitions...
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015
blazer
Division: C
State: MO

Post by blazer »

Paleofreakazoid wrote:I'm really sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I was wondering at your state competitions, did they have pre-measured increments of water to pour? Our beaker only measures 25 mL increments, so I was wondering how they would do that at other competitions...
At the competitions I've been to, the judges have scooped water out of a large bath, poured it into a graduated cylinder to get the correct volume, and then poured it into my beaker.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

As many of these posts attest, the way the judges load the device is the single biggest source of variability in this event. The clarification of 2/21 addresses this problem nicely, by allowing teams to take the internal temperature after loading and before prediction. Unfortunately for us, New York announced at the competition that they did not intend to honor that clarification. Chalkers, do you think that the thermometer could be explicitly allowed in the rules for next year? Predicting exactly how much heat will be lost during a loading procedure that you have limited information about does not seem to me to be the spirit of this event.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Flavorflav wrote:As many of these posts attest, the way the judges load the device is the single biggest source of variability in this event. The clarification of 2/21 addresses this problem nicely, by allowing teams to take the internal temperature after loading and before prediction. Unfortunately for us, New York announced at the competition that they did not intend to honor that clarification. Chalkers, do you think that the thermometer could be explicitly allowed in the rules for next year? Predicting exactly how much heat will be lost during a loading procedure that you have limited information about does not seem to me to be the spirit of this event.

It likely will be.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
siciscio

Post by siciscio »

I don't know if this was mentioned before but what would be a better insulator: one with a low specific heat or a high specic heat? :?: :?: If you were to use a material wouldn't you lose heat more rapidly than one with a higher specific heat. However with a material with a higher specific heat, would it absorb heat from the beaker? :| so does this I mean I should use materials with high specific heat or low specific heat? :? Thanks :)
WindPower, Bridges.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

siciscio wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned before but what would be a better insulator: one with a low specific heat or a high specic heat? :?: :?: If you were to use a material wouldn't you lose heat more rapidly than one with a higher specific heat. However with a material with a higher specific heat, would it absorb heat from the beaker? :| so does this I mean I should use materials with high specific heat or low specific heat? :? Thanks :)
Specific heat doesn't neccesarily correspond to insulative property, though you defintely want to avoid using materials with a high specific heat because they would absorb the heat from the beaker. Though a material with low specific heat isn't always a good insulator. What you want to know is the thermal conductivity of the material, here is a list on conductivities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_th ... uctivities
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
siciscio

Post by siciscio »

harryk wrote:
siciscio wrote:I don't know if this was mentioned before but what would be a better insulator: one with a low specific heat or a high specic heat? :?: :?: If you were to use a material wouldn't you lose heat more rapidly than one with a higher specific heat. However with a material with a higher specific heat, would it absorb heat from the beaker? :| so does this I mean I should use materials with high specific heat or low specific heat? :? Thanks :)
Specific heat doesn't neccesarily correspond to insulative property, though you defintely want to avoid using materials with a high specific heat because they would absorb the heat from the beaker. Though a material with low specific heat isn't always a good insulator. What you want to know is the thermal conductivity of the material, here is a list on conductivities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_th ... uctivities
Ok. Thanks :)
WindPower, Bridges.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

For state, with so many different levels of volume, temperature, and time, how did you test your device to collect data for accurate predictions? We have changed our device since regionals and have state on April 28th, and I am having difficulty coming up with a system to test my device to the precision I would need at state within only three weeks. What efficient systems have you developed for testing your devices?
Scipuppy
Division: B
State: MA

Post by Scipuppy »

JustDroobles wrote:For state, with so many different levels of volume, temperature, and time, how did you test your device to collect data for accurate predictions? We have changed our device since regionals and have state on April 28th, and I am having difficulty coming up with a system to test my device to the precision I would need at state within only three weeks. What efficient systems have you developed for testing your devices?
We had a similar problem, we didn't finish until just before states, we ended up needing to bring the device home a lot. We did our calibrations for every 5 or 10 degrees, and every 10 mL. However, this takes a LOT of extra work. I would advise using a calculator that can connect to a probe, especially one that can record data so you don't need to do it by hand. This makes it a lot easier. I would start with just every 10 degrees and 10ml increments.
2010 Events (alternate)
Fossils 1st Wright Stuff 2nd WIDI 2nd
2011 Events (alternate)
Optics 1st Junkyard 1st WIDI 1st
2012 Events (reg)
Optics 1st Food Science 2nd KTH 3rd

Return to “2012 Lab Events”