Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

jcreeps27
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C

Post by jcreeps27 »

Wowohn wrote:I did keep the heat at our State Competition for Pennsylvania. It was a complete mess. They had us do this experiment we combined hot and cold water and observed it? The Everybody's water went all over and became very messy. Then when they went to heat our water they heated the beakers on the hot plate also. When we finally did get the water it was 85 degrees when other peoples was 90 and we didnt get let out till 10 minutes late so I was late for y next event. }If this sounds complainy I'm sorry but I think we really need something more standardized nest year.
I agree I guess. We did get the experiments to work though and it was pretty cool (but we still spilled a little too). Also our box kept the heat way better than it should have for some reason so we ended up actually losing points because are prediction was so low. Also the test wasn't great. Not enough on the actual science of thermodynamics, and too much about the history.
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
JimY
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by JimY »

Chalker or anyone from nats that is monitoring this thread,

Can you ask someone from nats to look at the questions that have been posted on the Helicopter Egg Drop thread and post opinions on them. Since it is a trial event, there is nothing on soinc.org to ask questions and get clarifications that I'm aware of. There aren't that many.

To everyone else, sorry for using this thread to get attention on another.
Scipuppy
Division: B
State: MA

Post by Scipuppy »

Hey.
Does anyone know of a good site to learn about carnot cycles and history of thermodynamics?
Because our coaches don't really know that much about them, so we would appreciate any places we could go to brush up on the content.
2010 Events (alternate)
Fossils 1st Wright Stuff 2nd WIDI 2nd
2011 Events (alternate)
Optics 1st Junkyard 1st WIDI 1st
2012 Events (reg)
Optics 1st Food Science 2nd KTH 3rd
jcreeps27

Post by jcreeps27 »

Wikipedia couldn't be a bad place to start
"Science is about the insatiable craving for knowledge"

- Me
havenbro

Post by havenbro »

Try looking at the Kahn Academy videos, they can give you a good base knowledge of the event.
Nationals Medals:
2012: Meteorology B (6th Place)
2013: Reach for the Stars B (3rd Place)
TheLeftEye
State: NY

Post by TheLeftEye »

Heyy guys...
I would like to know what is there to learn. Actually there are limitless things but the NY states thermo test and the Eastern Long Island Test were extremely easy having some straight out facts, like what was the material that was thought to be heat in 1800 and 1700 called, but others were easy calculations. What should I expect/learn. I know enthlapy and entropy, should I learn farther? Please answer! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks before hand!
Yay were going to Nats!!!

Regional, States, Nationals
Optics: -, 3, 9
Storm the Castle: 1, 14, 6 :) :)

Regional, States, Nationals

Keep the Heat: 4, 2, -
Optics: -, 14, -
Storm the Castle: 2, 10, -
arod129
State: FL

Post by arod129 »

So i havent been able to make any good predictions with my insulation device... first at regionals the test wasnt reliable and sloppy (the ppl there didnt know what they were doing) and second at states the room temperature there was 21 degrees Celsius compared to my house which is 25 degrees celsius and i think that affected the end temperature of the beaker of water greatly. Both times ive been off from my predicted temperature by about 5 degrees celsius. Hopefully ill do better at nationals! Good luck ppl
TheSilence
State: NC

Post by TheSilence »

So completely new to this. This event doesn't seem terribly hard however would any of you guys happen to have a study plan idea to finish in five days and make a binder. I got the building portion covered. However I would need an extremely concise plan as I have 3 new events more like 4 if you count crime buster rule changes.....where would i start? I have conversions for Rankine, Fahrenheit,kelvin, work, joules, and Celsius. Got the laws. Thermodynamic process are good. basic specific heat and heat capacity. History is meh does anyone know which people and their significant contributions i should know? To be honest the event sheet looks a tad to easy for my liking. I feel like they will ask much more than that.

For the plots, would we have to use differentiation to predict the direction of the curve?
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

TheSilence wrote:So completely new to this. This event doesn't seem terribly hard however would any of you guys happen to have a study plan idea to finish in five days and make a binder. I got the building portion covered. However I would need an extremely concise plan as I have 3 new events more like 4 if you count crime buster rule changes.....where would i start? I have conversions for Rankine, Fahrenheit,kelvin, work, joules, and Celsius. Got the laws. Thermodynamic process are good. basic specific heat and heat capacity. History is meh does anyone know which people and their significant contributions i should know? To be honest the event sheet looks a tad to easy for my liking. I feel like they will ask much more than that.

For the plots, would we have to use differentiation to predict the direction of the curve?
For starters, you could go to the wiki and practice using the equations, because that's bound to be a big part of the test. And when you're making calculations, make sure you understand the concept behind it, because the concepts are also stuff they'll ask about on the test.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

Sorry for the double post, but I have a question about the "Keep the Heat Invitationals Test" on the test exchange, the second one down.
the question wrote:14) Given the specific heat capacity of ice is 2100 Jkg-1oC-1, and the specific heat capacity of water is 4200 Jkg-1oC-1. For the same mass of ice and water, if the same amount of heat is added to the ice and water:
a) The temperature of the Ice will increase 2 times the temperature increase of the water
b) The temperature of the Ice and water will increase the same amount.
c) The temperature of the Ice will increase 0.5 times the temperature increase of the water
d) Not enough information is provided determine the relative temperature change
The key says that the answer is a), but couldn't you argue that it could be d) since the temperature of one or both could stay the same if the amount of heat added doesn't surpass the latent heat of fusion/vaporization of water and if both the ice and the water are going through a phase change?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

Return to “2012 Lab Events”