Experimental Design B/C

Slarik
Division: C
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Slarik »

Phenylethylamine wrote: This brings up a good point: sadly, the goal of Experimental Design is not to do good science, but to do a good write-up. It's often to your advantage to intentionally introduce some nice, controlled form of error that you can point to and say, "Look, here's [error] that we could fix by doing [procedure step] differently!"
Too true.
My parents, both scientists, hate this event, because its short timeframe and rigid rubric encourage data falsification and doing experiments where you know what results to expect
To the first bolded: I think I disagree with your parents a bit. I find it a lot of fun, despite the not-so-great aspects.

However, the first couple ED contests I was at, we were given some topics that were a lot of fun to design an experiment on (I love the design aspect, coming up with an experiment is so much fun). If though, my first contest was this year's regionals, I don't think I would have enjoyed this event quite as much -- we were given water, salt, dye, a paper towel, a spoon, a stopwatch (and a couple other things) and told to design an experiment dealing with capillary action. To me, an experiment like that doesn't interest me very much because they seem to have given you materials with an experiment in mind (dye various concentrations of salt water, measured with the spoon, and record the time it took the water to flow up a given distance of the paper towel) and have given a topic that basically enforces you do that experiment.

To the second bolded, while true, I've found a lot of times (like at least half) I *don't* get the results I expected.
Exothermic reactions? I studied them before they were cool.
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

deezee wrote:I guess a problem with multiple trials of paper airplanes will have human error because they can't be folded exactly the same way, but that could go into the errors.
Not if you do all the trials with the same plane.
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Slarik wrote:
Phenylethylamine wrote: This brings up a good point: sadly, the goal of Experimental Design is not to do good science, but to do a good write-up. It's often to your advantage to intentionally introduce some nice, controlled form of error that you can point to and say, "Look, here's [error] that we could fix by doing [procedure step] differently!"
Too true.
My parents, both scientists, hate this event, because its short timeframe and rigid rubric encourage data falsification and doing experiments where you know what results to expect
To the first bolded: I think I disagree with your parents a bit. I find it a lot of fun, despite the not-so-great aspects.
They don't argue that it's not fun; I originally enjoyed this event quite a lot. They just believe it's encouraging scientific practices that are sloppy at best and dishonest at worst, among students who are likely to go into the sciences and do actual research in the future.
Slarik wrote:However, the first couple ED contests I was at, we were given some topics that were a lot of fun to design an experiment on (I love the design aspect, coming up with an experiment is so much fun). If though, my first contest was this year's regionals, I don't think I would have enjoyed this event quite as much -- we were given water, salt, dye, a paper towel, a spoon, a stopwatch (and a couple other things) and told to design an experiment dealing with capillary action. To me, an experiment like that doesn't interest me very much because they seem to have given you materials with an experiment in mind (dye various concentrations of salt water, measured with the spoon, and record the time it took the water to flow up a given distance of the paper towel) and have given a topic that basically enforces you do that experiment.
This is how the event is usually run. Alternately, they'll give you something completely open-ended that really doesn't give you much to work with. The right balance between specificity and freedom is hard to achieve, and event writers are busy people.
Slarik wrote:To the second bolded, while true, I've found a lot of times (like at least half) I *don't* get the results I expected.
Yes, and if you can't explain why, that's a problem for your write-up, isn't it? The event requires you to do an experiment where you know what trend you should get, so you know when something has gone wrong and can explain the departure from the appropriate trend in your conclusion.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

Phenylethylamine wrote: They don't argue that it's not fun; I originally enjoyed this event quite a lot. They just believe it's encouraging scientific practices that are sloppy at best and dishonest at worst, among students who are likely to go into the sciences and do actual research in the future.
I see your point, and I think it is a good one; I just think ED is encouraging many good things as well, enough to outweigh the negative aspects.
This is how the event is usually run. Alternately, they'll give you something completely open-ended that really doesn't give you much to work with.
How does open-ended leave you not much to work with? Wouldn't a broader, more open-ended topic leave you more possible experiments?
The right balance between specificity and freedom is hard to achieve, and event writers are busy people.
Yes, they are busy, and I'm very thankful to those that take the time to write and grade tests. But, I do like topics where the experiment you do isn't "given to you."
Slarik wrote:To the second bolded, while true, I've found a lot of times (like at least half) I *don't* get the results I expected.
Yes, and IF you can't explain why, that's a problem for your write-up, isn't it? The event requires you to do an experiment where you know what trend you should get, so you know when something has gone wrong and can explain the departure from the appropriate trend in your conclusion.
That's a big if. I think usually, the experiments are simple enough that you can figure out why (even if you fail to identify it correctly, as sometimes happens in real life, you still get points for it.)
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Slarik wrote:
This is how the event is usually run. Alternately, they'll give you something completely open-ended that really doesn't give you much to work with.
How does open-ended leave you not much to work with? Wouldn't a broader, more open-ended topic leave you more possible experiments?
"Doesn't give you much to work with" as in "doesn't give you any particular direction to go in designing your experiment." I have seen events where, despite the rules, you are given just the materials and no topic, or a topic like "physics" that's totally unhelpful.
Slarik wrote:
Yes, and IF you can't explain why, that's a problem for your write-up, isn't it? The event requires you to do an experiment where you know what trend you should get, so you know when something has gone wrong and can explain the departure from the appropriate trend in your conclusion.
That's a big if. I think usually, the experiments are simple enough that you can figure out why (even if you fail to identify it correctly, as sometimes happens in real life, you still get points for it.)
My point is, you still have to know in advance what the trend should be in order to even recognize that something has gone wrong.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

At states we were given a large variety of objects.
Chemicals such as H20, HCl, and stuff with sodium and calcium is what I can remember, there were about 10 bottles.
6 Dice
3 Toy Cars
1 Ramp
1 container
1 basket
2 bouncy balls
1 thermometer that was really big
a test beaker
... and some other stuff

We were told to do an experiment on rate, which is pretty open as any good experimental design experiment is based on a rate

We did "how does the height a ball is dropped affect how long it takes for it to stop bouncing"

EDIT: the result: 24th out of 25th :(
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

Slarik wrote:
deezee wrote:I guess a problem with multiple trials of paper airplanes will have human error because they can't be folded exactly the same way, but that could go into the errors.
Not if you do all the trials with the same plane.
oh I see.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Slarik

Post by Slarik »

mnstrviola wrote: EDIT: the result: 24th out of 25th :(
Did you forget to write your school's name on some of the papers?
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

No, actually we would have gotten 4th place. We were put in second tier because we needed to have 5 materials in our experiment. We only listed the ball, ruler, and timer. I so mad :evil:
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

mnstrviola wrote:No, actually we would have gotten 4th place. We were put in second tier because we needed to have 5 materials in our experiment. We only listed the ball, ruler, and timer. I so mad :evil:
Does the five item rule only apply to your particular experiment, or is it a general rule for the whole event?
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Return to “2012 Lab Events”