Microbe Mission B/C

Locked
User avatar
SciBomb97
Member
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: December 6th, 2011, 9:22 pm
Division: C
State: AL
Location: In your dreams
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by SciBomb97 » February 20th, 2012, 5:54 pm

illusionofconfusion wrote:
themachine_ wrote:SciBomb did you mean protozoan disease for malaria (you said fungal I think).
Yes, he meant protozoal. If he didn't, SHAME ON YOU, SciBomb!!
themachine_ wrote:Also, does anyone know what the current system for kingdoms is (I tried looking this up, I can't figure out how they split up protozoans).
I'm fairly certain that it's Bacteria, Archaea, Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, and Protista. Protozoa go under Protista along with algae and moulds.
First of all, facepalm
Secondly, those kingdoms are correct. But moulds are fungi. Slime moulds are protists, don't get those two mixed up.
A week ago, our biology teacher saw some slime moulds on our compost tank, and she specified them as protists. I thought all moulds were fungi, but then I found the slime mould reference in my shiny book. So now I remember the slime mould thing. :D
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

UnknownyMous
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: January 31st, 2012, 4:26 pm
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by UnknownyMous » February 22nd, 2012, 2:07 pm

Okay, so we have the 2012 Diseases on the wiki. What do we study about that? Do we just have to memorize all the diseases and remember which diseases are in which disease group? Or like the causes and treatment and stuff?
Bottle Rocket and Microbe Mission for 2012
Anatomy and Keep The Heat for 2013
Anatomy and Write It Do It for 2014

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 608
Joined: December 3rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times
Contact:

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by syo_astro » February 22nd, 2012, 7:22 pm

UnknownyMous wrote:Okay, so we have the 2012 Diseases on the wiki. What do we study about that? Do we just have to memorize all the diseases and remember which diseases are in which disease group? Or like the causes and treatment and stuff?
For the diseases I would recommend checking the nats website (soinc.org, go to event info, div [b/c] events, microbe mission) since I think the list wasn't updated last time I checked (it could be updated, but the official list is where it comes from anyway). As said on the last page you should at least know the microbial cause (well I don't feel like quoting the last page, but one or two things were posted). You could also know the treatment and prevention (again check the last page). You have a sheet, so you can put it on that, but whether this is ran in stations or as a test (I have seen it ran both ways) it helps to know it so you don't have to constantly check it (for the sheet you should only put really random info that you can't remember). Really what is asked is up to the test maker, so hope this helped.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

User avatar
TheWiseGirl
Member
Member
Posts: 57
Joined: March 10th, 2011, 12:06 am
Division: Grad
State: WA
Location: University of Washington
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by TheWiseGirl » February 23rd, 2012, 8:17 pm

Does anyone have the answer key for the 2011 Battle of Valley Forge Microbe Test (Division C)?
I'm quirky like a quark.

sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 75
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by sciencegeek999 » February 24th, 2012, 2:46 pm

UnknownyMous wrote:Okay, so we have the 2012 Diseases on the wiki. What do we study about that? Do we just have to memorize all the diseases and remember which diseases are in which disease group? Or like the causes and treatment and stuff?
It's different for all schools. For mine, we just had to say what kind of organism a disease was(bacterial, viral, etc.). But I have heard other kids from other schools say that their tests gave symptoms and they had to find out what disease it was.

User avatar
SciBomb97
Member
Member
Posts: 185
Joined: December 6th, 2011, 9:22 pm
Division: C
State: AL
Location: In your dreams
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by SciBomb97 » February 26th, 2012, 11:32 pm

sciencegeek999 wrote:
UnknownyMous wrote:Okay, so we have the 2012 Diseases on the wiki. What do we study about that? Do we just have to memorize all the diseases and remember which diseases are in which disease group? Or like the causes and treatment and stuff?
It's different for all schools. For mine, we just had to say what kind of organism a disease was(bacterial, viral, etc.). But I have heard other kids from other schools say that their tests gave symptoms and they had to find out what disease it was.
Given the number of diseases we're responsible for, that's intense.
I'm not sure how much of the resource sheet should be taken up by the diseases. Any help?

Edit: has anyone seen questions that ask about different growth media on tests?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

User avatar
TheWrightBrother
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 5:24 am
Division: C
State: KS
Location: Shawnee, Kansas
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by TheWrightBrother » February 29th, 2012, 7:48 am

I don't know about you guys, but at our regionals, it just wanted us to know about which diseases were caused by which microbes.
Southland Invitational 2012:
6th Reach for the Stars
Pembroke Invitational 2012:
5th Reach for the Stars
Regionals 2012:
2nd Reach for the Stars
6th Meteorology
State 2012:
1st Meteorology
---------- Peace Out :geek:

himynameis
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: March 1st, 2010, 1:06 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by himynameis » February 29th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Regionals are Saturday and I have no notes made and just found out I was in this event like last week (all 3 of my original events were in the same time block)
No clue what to include in my notes. The list of things are wayyy too broad. Any tips/suggestions for notes??

sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 75
Joined: December 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by sciencegeek999 » February 29th, 2012, 2:33 pm

himynameis wrote:Regionals are Saturday and I have no notes made and just found out I was in this event like last week (all 3 of my original events were in the same time block)
No clue what to include in my notes. The list of things are wayyy too broad. Any tips/suggestions for notes??
Go to soinc.org and look at the 2012 handout. If it doesn't open correctly, look at the 2011 handbook.
Paste it into word and make everything smaller (10 or less). Delete spaces, and useless stuff (repetition) and anything you might already know.
Change up wording so you can find things easily.
You should include:
Microscopy (formula, types of microscopes, parts of a light microscope)
Bacteria, Fungi, Protists, Animal, Plant, etc.: know if these are Eukaryotes/prokayotes, heterotrophs/autotrophs, location
Viral, Bacterial, Protozoan/Algal, etc. Diseases list
Food production, Microbiology, fermentation, everyday use of microbes (eg. septic tanks, bread making, water)
What Cell organelles do: bacteria(prokayote), and animal/plant (eukaryote)
eg. mitochondria, ribosomes, nucleus, nucleolus, cell wall, plasma membrane, etc.
diagrams of cells and light microscope, If possible, practice looking at slides under a microscope and identify if it has a nucleus or not.
If you want some practice, go to the test exchange on scioly and take a look at some of the tests. Depending on your location, your test will be either in stations, or no stations.

himynameis
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: March 1st, 2010, 1:06 pm
Division: C
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by himynameis » February 29th, 2012, 3:04 pm

sciencegeek999 wrote:
himynameis wrote:Regionals are Saturday and I have no notes made and just found out I was in this event like last week (all 3 of my original events were in the same time block)
No clue what to include in my notes. The list of things are wayyy too broad. Any tips/suggestions for notes??
Go to soinc.org and look at the 2012 handout. If it doesn't open correctly, look at the 2011 handbook.
Paste it into word and make everything smaller (10 or less). Delete spaces, and useless stuff (repetition) and anything you might already know.
Change up wording so you can find things easily.
You should include:
Microscopy (formula, types of microscopes, parts of a light microscope)
Bacteria, Fungi, Protists, Animal, Plant, etc.: know if these are Eukaryotes/prokayotes, heterotrophs/autotrophs, location
Viral, Bacterial, Protozoan/Algal, etc. Diseases list
Food production, Microbiology, fermentation, everyday use of microbes (eg. septic tanks, bread making, water)
What Cell organelles do: bacteria(prokayote), and animal/plant (eukaryote)
eg. mitochondria, ribosomes, nucleus, nucleolus, cell wall, plasma membrane, etc.
diagrams of cells and light microscope, If possible, practice looking at slides under a microscope and identify if it has a nucleus or not.
If you want some practice, go to the test exchange on scioly and take a look at some of the tests. Depending on your location, your test will be either in stations, or no stations.
Thanks!!!

What exactly do I need to know about the diseases on the list?

Locked

Return to “2012 Lab Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests