Microbe Mission B/C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by syo_astro »

SciBomb97 wrote:Does anybody know of any good resources/websites to study for the microscopy portion?
I think I googled for microscopes for diagrams of them and images produced (including scanning probe microscopes). I also made a chart having range of view, main use, light, number of lenses/what is used to see, problems. I used a bit of wikipedia,for more detailed descriptions I went to the nikon site from the nationals website ( http://www.microscopyu.com/), and for a decent overview: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/mbi-ws/microscopes/index.html. Other than that I googled random websites if I wanted to know something else or something from the rules. Sorry if that didn't help much, but honestly I didn't save too many websites. To check info you could always get a textbook (I think textbooks have been discussed), finding someone who knows about the topic helps (I couldn't find someone, but it does help).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
deezee
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by deezee »

themachine wrote:
SciBomb97 wrote:Does anybody know of any good resources/websites to study for the microscopy portion?
I think I googled for microscopes for diagrams of them and images produced (including scanning probe microscopes). I also made a chart having range of view, main use, light, number of lenses/what is used to see, problems. I used a bit of wikipedia,for more detailed descriptions I went to the nikon site from the nationals website ( http://www.microscopyu.com/), and for a decent overview: http://www.cas.muohio.edu/mbi-ws/microscopes/index.html. Other than that I googled random websites if I wanted to know something else or something from the rules. Sorry if that didn't help much, but honestly I didn't save too many websites. To check info you could always get a textbook (I think textbooks have been discussed), finding someone who knows about the topic helps (I couldn't find someone, but it does help).
Yeah, the links under the soinc.org page about microscopy are really helpful. I would also just search up info about each type (ex. light, electron, etc.) on google and compile some info. Be careful, though, as some websites may be unreliable.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Gearbox
State: PA

Post by Gearbox »

I would like to have microbes be less station based and more one test based with the exception of having a microscope to look at petri dishes and other hands on parts of the test, but over all i wish the test was not stationed
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

Gearbox

Post by Gearbox »

I disagree, my favorite aspect of microbe missions is the disease list. The difference between the disease list for Microbes and disease detectives is that microbes is more about why and how they cause disease. I personally love that stuff
amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

ShuppetThePuppet
Division: B

Post by ShuppetThePuppet »

...thats great..
Current Events:
Bugs
WIDI
Expd
Planes

Past Events:
Trees, Towers,Birds, Boomi,Road Scholar,
-Nailed it.

Forestry State Champion 2013,
Write it Do it 4th in the Nation 2013
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

Gearbox wrote:I would like to have microbes be less station based and more one test based with the exception of having a microscope to look at petri dishes and other hands on parts of the test, but over all i wish the test was not stationed
Well I guess having stations is what makes Microbe mission a unique event, otherwise it would be kind of like disease detectives. I don't know xD
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Gearbox wrote:I would like to have microbes be less station based and more one test based with the exception of having a microscope to look at petri dishes and other hands on parts of the test, but over all i wish the test was not stationed
Gearbox wrote:I disagree, my favorite aspect of microbe missions is the disease list. The difference between the disease list for Microbes and disease detectives is that microbes is more about why and how they cause disease. I personally love that stuff
amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
Gearbox wrote:o my god you guys i love microbe mission i wish i could marry it. omg omg omg omg see you at nationals...i hope i get 01
I believe it isn't right to triple post on the website. If you want to add more to your post you can edit it, but also avoid doing things like this...also, I think having it in stations is actually fine, but it doesn't matter. I only like stations since when it's an easy test the stations can make it a bit harder for people who don't know their stuff or like to use the cheatsheet a lot. Really you should just be prepared for multiple formats on a test.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
ccluvit
Division: B
State: WI

Post by ccluvit »

i was taking a test the other day and it says prions are hereditary? my coach disagrees with this but does anybody know for sure?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

ccluvit wrote:i was taking a test the other day and it says prions are hereditary? my coach disagrees with this but does anybody know for sure?
Now I am quite confused, I thought prions were hereditary and infectious (but it was that it was specific in how you got it). Could be wrong about that but having a second check would help.
SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 »

themachine wrote:
ccluvit wrote:i was taking a test the other day and it says prions are hereditary? my coach disagrees with this but does anybody know for sure?
Now I am quite confused, I thought prions were hereditary and infectious (but it was that it was specific in how you got it). Could be wrong about that but having a second check would help.
Prions are different from the other pathogens in the fact that it does not exactly replicate. They're basically messed up proteins that convert other normal proteins in cells to more messed up proteins.
I'm not sure about the hereditary mechanism of prions, and this stuff is still in research, so I guess it could be either, although I've never heard it suggested that prions can be transmitted via vertical transmission.
As of infectious, that's an iffy one according to logic since, as afore mentioned, they do not exactly reproduce. However, prions are generally considered infectious microbes, so yeah...
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

Return to “2012 Lab Events”