Microbe Mission B/C

SciBomb97
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by SciBomb97 »

I know that in the past years microscopy was a significant part of the test, so you may want to take the extra step in knowing it forwards and backwards.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness
Starapollo1
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

kalithepianist wrote:For people who completed MM @ Nationals:
What kinds of / how much information have you put on your note sheet?
My state note sheet was filled with essentially everything on the Training Handout, tidbits about the diseases, microscope stuff, and some other charts I made, but it was 7 font so I don't think that'll be helpful for nationals considering the potential time crunch. XD I'm planning to memorize more information for Nationals instead of relying on my notesheet but I'm worried I'll forget stuff at the actual competition. >__>
The key to any nationals exam is speed. Last year the exam was incredible easy. But you had to move quickly and efficiently, and there really wasn't time to go back. Now of course, there were some stations that were short. Nothing on the exam will really shock you or be too hard. Having the log graph for growth is nice, have the disease list, and some information on each microscope (nothing too in depth but just a little info about each one). You'll have to match microscopy images as well but that is something you have probably already seen on tests. The guy who wrote the test last year also liked jokes a lot so each station had a few science jokes at the bottom, lol don't take the time to read them, you can always buy a copy of the national exam next year and go back and look at the jokes :)

Hope this helped!
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

Has anybody seen a question about the Baltimore Classification System of viruses on a test before?
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

So today, smile
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

SciBomb97 wrote:Has anybody seen a question about the Baltimore Classification System of viruses on a test before?
I don't believe I have. I think the main question about viruses that are asked is to label an HIV and questions about what makes them different to other microbes. I think the only real question on classification I saw is how they distinguished bacteria originally. I put it on my sheet just in case, though.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
deezee
State: IL

Post by deezee »

SciBomb97 wrote:I know that in the past years microscopy was a significant part of the test, so you may want to take the extra step in knowing it forwards and backwards.
yeah, know the parts, calculations, and types of microscopes. that's a big part that I would recommend be added to the notesheet
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
SciBomb97

Post by SciBomb97 »

Has anybody else taken PacificGoldenPlover's microbe mission practice test? The answers for questions 23 and 41 are wrong...
Question 23 should be "Eukaryotic"
For question 41, it's not that gram-negative bacteria are lacking in peptidoglycan, they just don't have a very thick layer of it. Well, that could be talking about the bacterium's state after Gram staining, but that isn't implied in the question.
-- -- --

So today, smile
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

SciBomb97 wrote:Has anybody else taken PacificGoldenPlover's microbe mission practice test? The answers for questions 23 and 41 are wrong...
Question 23 should be "Eukaryotic"
For question 41, it's not that gram-negative bacteria are lacking in peptidoglycan, they just don't have a very thick layer of it. Well, that could be talking about the bacterium's state after Gram staining, but that isn't implied in the question.
OK, going through the test here is what I am wondering about (some are my own questions, wasn't sure whether to bring it up, I admit that I could be wrong):
3, I thought legionellosis causes intestinal disorders.
18, isn't it an SEM...not a light microscope (it is 3D so...).
23, I agree with you.
25, this one I think could be right, but algae or cyanobacteria can cause disease, right? In fact in 29 it says members of this group, is there some distinction between the group and subgroup? I am not sure what that picture is off specifically, though.
28, If that could be a volvox, can't they sometimes move using a flagella?
37, aren't organelles found in prokaryotes? The only thing is that they are non-membrane bound, but the question doesn't say that.
39, I think it should also say membrane bound organelles
41, it does seem a little vague again...
OK, I think that's most of the things I didn't think were right. Can someone else reconfirm these?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Herr Doktor
State: TN

Post by Herr Doktor »

[/quote]
OK, going through the test here is what I am wondering about (some are my own questions, wasn't sure whether to bring it up, I admit that I could be wrong):
3, I thought legionellosis causes intestinal disorders.
18, isn't it an SEM...not a light microscope (it is 3D so...).
25, this one I think could be right, but algae or cyanobacteria can cause disease, right? In fact in 29 it says members of this group, is there some distinction between the group and subgroup? I am not sure what that picture is off specifically, though.
28, If that could be a volvox, can't they sometimes move using a flagella?
37, aren't organelles found in prokaryotes? The only thing is that they are non-membrane bound, but the question doesn't say that.
39, I think it should also say membrane bound organelles
41, it does seem a little vague again...
[/quote]

3: You're right; it can cause mild vomiting or diarrhea in some cases.
18: Right again. This is a Scanning Electron without a doubt. In fact, I think I've seen it on Google Images after searching "SEM"...
25: They cause disease in the sense that toxins that they secrete contaminate food supplies (e.g. molluscs) but they do not directly infect humans. The question should have been clearer, methinks.
28: I don't think that's Volvox by virtue of the fact that Volvox tend to be very round, compared to the elongation in this specimen. Also, I don't think Volvox can have flagella. I'd need to do a bit more research, though.
37: Technically, organelles aren't found in prokaryotes. It's screwy, I know, but I don't think ribosomes are counted as organelles. The definition is still up in the air among professional biologists, however. And there are some prokaryotes that have normally-eukaryotic organelles. (Weird, I know!)
39: I think you're right here.
41: I wouldn't call it vague; I would call it wrong. Gram-negative bacteria still have peptidoglycan, just in smaller amounts.

Hope this helps!
sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by sciencegeek999 »

For my state competition test, it showed a bunch of pictures of microbes.
It said to say what type of microscope was being used. Did anyone else have asection like that?
illusionofconfusion

Post by illusionofconfusion »

There was a section much like that on the nationals test for division B last year.
~illusionofconfusion ;)

Return to “2012 Lab Events”