Microbe Mission B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Microbe Mission B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
chia
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by chia »

Would you all like it better if the rules were a little bit more narrow than last year's (however that might be done)? The tests I took last year were all over the place, covering virtually any and every aspect of cell biology and such.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

chia wrote:Would you all like it better if the rules were a little bit more narrow than last year's (however that might be done)? The tests I took last year were all over the place, covering virtually any and every aspect of cell biology and such.
I'm not sure if this will please or disappoint you, but one of the fundamental changes this year is the addition of the following sentence to the rules: "The competition should cover all of the topics and not emphasize just one area such as microbial disease."

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
amerikestrel
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by amerikestrel »

chalker wrote:
chia wrote:Would you all like it better if the rules were a little bit more narrow than last year's (however that might be done)? The tests I took last year were all over the place, covering virtually any and every aspect of cell biology and such.
I'm not sure if this will please or disappoint you, but one of the fundamental changes this year is the addition of the following sentence to the rules: "The competition should cover all of the topics and not emphasize just one area such as microbial disease."
Hm... that doesn't seem like that much of a change. Both of the tests I took last year had a wide diversity of topics, with only a few questions on diseases. I'd like to interpret this as the competition will have a wider focus, including some of the finer details of cell biology.
Not competing in the 2011-12 season.
2011 B division PA State Ornithology and Fossils champ!
Medal count: 14
purplepeopleeater
State: TX

Post by purplepeopleeater »

I've found that with this event, you definitely have to cover all angles. (hey this DID replace BioProcess right? THAT was broad as well..)
I've had test ranging from ONLY diseases, to a BPL like test, to COMPREHENSION, to antarctica... jk, but just about.
would i like it if the rules were narrower?
meh... it may make things easier, but who wants that? this gives the opportunity to learn more ;P that sounds SO nerdy...
No matter what the experiment's result, there will always be someone eager to:(a) misinterpret it(b) fake it, or (c) believe it supports his own pet theory.
2010 Nationals---
  • 3rd Model This, 17th Bio Process Lab, 27th Science Crime Busters
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
I feel the disease aspect gives the event a bit more depth. I won't deny though that sometimes feel it would be more beneficial to move the disease list to disease detectives.... just a thought lol
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Post by FullMetalMaple »

chalker wrote:I'm not sure if this will please or disappoint you, but one of the fundamental changes this year is the addition of the following sentence to the rules: "The competition should cover all of the topics and not emphasize just one area such as microbial disease."
Hm, I rather like that idea. It does mean more studying for broader tests, but I find it reminds me how different aspects of microbiology are linked together. That will probably be beneficial.
Starapollo1 wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
I feel the disease aspect gives the event a bit more depth. I won't deny though that sometimes feel it would be more beneficial to move the disease list to disease detectives.... just a thought lol
I have to agree with Starapollo here. Diseases really do give an additional angle to this event, an angle I rather enjoy. They kind of go with application questions.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

I just checked on soinc.org, and they added some diseases, hepatitis, chlamydiasis, giardiasis, scrapie, kuru, rubella, and some others. And they took out mad cow.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Of course kuru and scrapie ARE basically mad cow (just different "platforms").

Mom
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2012 Lab Events”