Microbe Mission B/C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by syo_astro »

OK thanks. At least I can happily say my sheet is pretty much done (it is loaded with info...).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
deezee
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by deezee »

TheWiseGirl wrote:Alrighty, well State is in 3 weeks for me, and I'm currently debating on buying a textbook to help me study. I know people have mentioned Burton's and Brock. However, the Brock textbook seems to be much more expensive. I just want a book that is worth the money; should I even bother buying a textbook then?
Thanks!

There's a lot of good free resources online and in apps for iphone, stuff like that. There's a bunch of links on the soinc.org website that lead to online textbooks and stuff.
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.
Sassyfras

Post by Sassyfras »

Just wondering if diseases play a major role in the state competition... Thanks!
Forestry
Dynamic Planet
Triple E
Microbe Mission
Tech. Prob. Solving
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Sassyfras wrote:Just wondering if diseases play a major role in the state competition... Thanks!
First, hi I guess I will be seeing you at states :) (doing microbes too, it seems that you are from NY too). The event is supposed to cover all topics in the rules. That means diseases will most likely be covered but other topics will be too.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Sassyfras

Post by Sassyfras »

themachine_ wrote:
Sassyfras wrote:Just wondering if diseases play a major role in the state competition... Thanks!
First, hi I guess I will be seeing you at states :) (doing microbes too, it seems that you are from NY too). The event is supposed to cover all topics in the rules. That means diseases will most likely be covered but other topics will be too.
Ooh, another person doing Microbe. :) And thanks for the info... This is my first time doing Microbe, and it seems pretty hard... Just wondering the most important things I need to know. Diseases seem to be pretty big.
Forestry
Dynamic Planet
Triple E
Microbe Mission
Tech. Prob. Solving
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

Sassyfras wrote:Ooh, another person doing Microbe. :) And thanks for the info... This is my first time doing Microbe, and it seems pretty hard... Just wondering the most important things I need to know. Diseases seem to be pretty big.
It can be hard, but the test can vary due to different test makers. I don't know exactly how states was last year, but I heard it had 1 or 2 fairly annoying parts (though that obviously varies from opinions). I know I am repeating myself, but the test will cover most topics, not just diseases. There is no main thing to study for except general concepts that can be applied. Also, what did you mean by another person doing microbe (we can pm, idk what is better)? Wow, I can't believe there is only a few days left.
deezee

Post by deezee »

themachine_ wrote:
Sassyfras wrote:Ooh, another person doing Microbe. :) And thanks for the info... This is my first time doing Microbe, and it seems pretty hard... Just wondering the most important things I need to know. Diseases seem to be pretty big.
It can be hard, but the test can vary due to different test makers. I don't know exactly how states was last year, but I heard it had 1 or 2 fairly annoying parts (though that obviously varies from opinions). I know I am repeating myself, but the test will cover most topics, not just diseases. There is no main thing to study for except general concepts that can be applied. Also, what did you mean by another person doing microbe (we can pm, idk what is better)? Wow, I can't believe there is only a few days left.
for us, we actually had a lot of disease stuff (ex. match this picture with pathogen, name the disease) or guy walks into hospital, has ____(symptoms) and identify disease. Suppose it varies from state to state.
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

The state test wasn't bad, from what I know...there was one question that said a bacterium was 46 microns long...fail.
There were diseases, but not that much, as far as I can tell. There was stuff like what MRSA stands for, the causative agent of malaria, I think it was, and prevention for tetanus, oh, and a delicious chart detailing about 5 different diseases (by detailing, I mean like virus/bact/fungus/etc, whether it had a vaccine or not, and prevention and stuff.). I believe there was also microscopy and determining FOV, and also something about lichens?

I'm not in Microbe, so I don't know. What you see above is the extent of my knowledge on what was on that State Microbe test.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
Hosj
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

Okay... thats creepy. What you just described was the regional test in MARYLAND
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
deezee

Post by deezee »

Does anyone know the formula for calculating field of view? My partner and I completely made up answers to that part of the test :oops: (And we still got first at regionals... :P )

Return to “2012 Lab Events”