Division: Grad
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by kappakun » January 23rd, 2012, 5:02 pm

chia wrote:
kappakun wrote:
chia wrote:Sorry for the double post, but just had to say: this is my favorite thing ever. (Okay not really, but it is really cool and pretty useful for visualization!)
Whoa, that is cool!
BTW, chia, how did you guys handle the "size range" question on the crystal lake central test? I feel like it's so arbitrary that different sources say different things...
Eh, that was actually one of the things we did the worst on. Our ranges were pretty broad (eg. 10-100 micrometers) and we were sort of guesstimating (for some reason my parter and I are worst at the numbers parts of Scioly events, even though we're both dec at math), and we ended up missing three or four of them. You're right, though, that the ranges often vary from source to source.
Turns out we aced the diseases part, except for having Kuru instead of Creutzfeld-Jacob (we felt it was safer to write Kuru since it was the one actually on the list, though we knew both), and they took off a point since we had down Plasmodium instead of protist for malaria by force of habit (we were too specific :lol: ).
Also, the question about red tides? Our AP Bio teacher beat it into us that they are caused by dinoflaggelates, so again by force of habit we wrote that down, but it was asking for the letter from the above chart :|
Yeah, the thing about the red tide question is, I'm pretty sure the picture they had of the "algae" was a diatom, but red tides are caused by dinoflaggelates but oh well... Guess they were looking for the general rather than specific.

meganhe96
Division: C
State: NY

Post by meganhe96 » January 26th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Hi, has anyone noticed that potato blight is listed as a fungal disease, but it's actually a protozoa disease?

liutony66
State: TX

Post by liutony66 » January 28th, 2012, 8:59 am

meganhe96 wrote:Hi, has anyone noticed that potato blight is listed as a fungal disease, but it's actually a protozoa disease?
Yea, I have found that kind of wierd, but understandable. After all, with oomycetes the line between fungal classification and protozoan classification is pretty thin, and they were orginally classified as fungi. Additionally, it has many fungal characteristics. Maybe they'll change it next year! :D

sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciencegeek999 » January 28th, 2012, 5:14 pm

Hey, everyone...
Please reply to this message if you want me to put the Lisle Invitationals test for this event on Test Exchange.
I'm going to see if I can get my test back, so yeah.

SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 » January 28th, 2012, 5:58 pm

That'd be nice.
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

sciencegeek999
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciencegeek999 » January 28th, 2012, 6:06 pm

SciBomb97 wrote:That'd be nice.
I'll try my best to. By the way, please note that this is Divsion B.
Thanks for your input (or output?) ;)

SciBomb97
State: AL

Post by SciBomb97 » January 29th, 2012, 6:50 am

Yup, I'm div. B
But it seems like I won't be doing microbe for regionals... :( It conflicts with my favorite event.
That just sucks, it had to be my two favorite events...
-- -- --
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." ~1 Corinthians 10:31~

They say that a smile can light up somebody's day
So today, smile
Shine a light in somebody's life
Be that light in the darkness

Lukesky180
Division: B

Post by Lukesky180 » February 2nd, 2012, 1:58 pm

sciencegeek999 wrote:Hey, everyone...
Please reply to this message if you want me to put the Lisle Invitationals test for this event on Test Exchange.
I'm going to see if I can get my test back, so yeah.
Yep, you should do that.
Please visit the Harmony School of Excellence - Endeavor's Robotics Website!
http://endeavorrobotics.weebly.com

dustykingwood
Division: B

Post by dustykingwood » February 5th, 2012, 6:47 am

amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
Agreed, while Disease Dectives is for that purpose they add it anyway. Being in both events dose help due to very slightly similar premises. For me I kind of like it but oh well. I do think it would be wiser to remove it as said before. Does anyone have the sheet of vocab we are supposed to know? i suspiciously never got that. :geek:
^.^ Chloe "I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." Dr. Seuss

Starapollo1
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 » February 5th, 2012, 3:02 pm

dustykingwood wrote:
amerikestrel wrote:I wish that they'd remove the disease list altogether and focus the event on cell biology and microbiology.
Agreed, while Disease Dectives is for that purpose they add it anyway. Being in both events dose help due to very slightly similar premises. For me I kind of like it but oh well. I do think it would be wiser to remove it as said before. Does anyone have the sheet of vocab we are supposed to know? i suspiciously never got that. :geek:
I like the diseae aspect because it gives the event more depth (as I stated early on the forum). However as far as the specifics (i.e. identify this protozoa. OR what are the symptoms for -insert disease here-) I think they should have fewer diseases. My idea would be giving us the disease list as normal, requiring us to learn what type of organism is responsible for them, and then selecting one or two from each bracket (so two bacterial, two viral, two protozoan, etc) and then ask more in depth questions over those.

NOTE: Has anyone found a particularly good site as far as specific pathogens for each disease?
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

Return to “2012 Lab Events”